WillKat wedding helped palace earn 42 mn poundsJuly 27th, 2011 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton helped the British royal art collection trust earn around 42 million pounds.
The Royal Collection - which charges tourists for access to royal residences, including the Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Clarence House - saw revenues rise by 7.3 million pounds to 41.7 million pounds, the Daily Express reported.
The Royal Collection is property of the monarch, but is held in trust for her successors and the nation. It contains over 7,000 paintings, 40,000 watercolours and drawings, and about 150,000 old prints as well as historical photographs, tapestries, furniture, ceramics and books.
The trust’s annual report for the 2010-11 financial year revealed that visitor numbers were up four percent to 2.1 million.
Sales at the royal gift shops were up 17.8 percent, thanks to official wedding souvenirs, including a bone china range which raked in more than one million pounds.
- Move over Barbie! Kate Middleton doll is here - Mar 13, 2011
- Prince William picks brother Harry as best man - Feb 14, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Kate's parents to spend 100,000 pounds on royal wedding - Apr 18, 2011
- Kate's parents meet Queen, Prince Philip - Apr 21, 2011
- Kate Middleton's dress rakes in 10 million in ticket sales - Jul 19, 2012
- Queen finally meets the Middletons - Apr 22, 2011
- House clearer awarded 2mn pound tapestries! - Jun 07, 2011
- UK Government trying to make money out of Royal Wedding - Feb 04, 2011
- British queen's pay rise ruled out - Dec 06, 2011
- King of Cambodia not attending Wills-Kat wedding - Apr 22, 2011
- Sunday Times reveals Kate Middleton's wedding dress designer - Mar 07, 2011
- Prince William's wedding to boost Britain's hard-pressed economy? - Nov 18, 2010
- Tacky souvenirs to go on sale in UK after Will and Kate's engagement! - Nov 18, 2010
- Queen finally meets Kate Middleton's parents - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,