Williams dispels her doubts with return to number oneJanuary 31st, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 31 (DPA) Serena Williams will start February back on the top of women’s tennis after a crushing 6-0, 6-3 Australian Open title victory over nervous Dinara Safina.The now 10-time Grand Slam singles winner was amazed at how well it went for her in a 59-minute trouncing of the Russian who had also been bidding to claim the number one spot from now-deposed Serb Jelena Jankovic Saturday.
Williams said that after being told by her mother-coach Oracene Price that she was playing “lazy tennis” in the opening stages of the fortnight, “something clicked” in the quarter-finals against Svetlana Kuznetsova.
“I didn’t want to go home, I had a lot left to do here,” she said of that tight three-set contest.
“I’m human, I doubt myself. But I’m trying to overcome that and think positive even through the doubts. I was doubting myself early in the tournament.”
Serena added: “It’s kind of cool to win four titles. I was surprised and a little nervous going in. I knew I had nothing to lose even if everyone was putting pressure on me.
“The first set went so fast but I told myself to stay focussed,” said the winner. “Dinara’s a warrior, she was down a couple of match points in this event. At the start of the second set she broke me.”
Serena who won the doubles with sister Venus said: “Doubles helped me in the singles. Venus and I were going to the net more focussed on attacking.”
It is the third time for Williams to hold the top ranking. After claiming the US Open last September, she has now won back-to-back Slams for the first time since the 2002 US Open and 2003 Australian.
The last player to do that was Justine Henin (2003 US Open and 2004 Australian Open).
“People thinking of me along with the past greats like Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova is uber-cool. I never want to stop playing and enjoying myself. I’m playing to win in the Grand Slams.”
- Li Na appreciates hubby's support for her Australian Open campaign - Jan 29, 2011
- Serena Williams loses in first round first time - May 30, 2012
- Serena Williams in a fix after her US Open final antics - Sep 12, 2011
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Clijsters to face Zvonareva in US Open final - Sep 11, 2010
- Clijsters battles back against Li Na to win Australian Open - Jan 29, 2011
- Wozniacki confident of getting fit before Australian Open - Jan 12, 2012
- Wimbledon champion Serena irked over No.2 WTA status - Jul 05, 2009
- Azarenka stuns Serena, lifts third title in 2009 - Apr 05, 2009
- Serena saves Williams pride as Venus knocked out (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Bookies favour Stosur to lift French Open crown - Jun 03, 2010
- Serena reaches third round at Rome Open - May 17, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: australian open, australian open title, dinara safina, doubts, dpa, fortnight, grand slam, grand slams, jelena jankovic, justine henin, last september, martina navratilova, match points, quarter finals, serena williams, sister venus, steffi graf, svetlana kuznetsova, third time, title victory