William wants Kate to be called ‘princess’May 1st, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 1 (IANS) Prince William would prefer that his wife Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, be called “Princess Catherine”, officials said.
A commoner by birth, Kate Middleton was given the title Her Royal Highness Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, after her marriage to William, the second-in-line to the throne.
The prince’s spokesman said William was “honoured” to become the Duke of Cambridge.
But he let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William and his wife to become “Princess Catherine”, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The Buckingham Palace said if people wanted to call Catherine “princess”, they were welcome to do so.
Paddy Harverson, the communications secretary of Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, said the public may be encouraged to use the names Prince William and Princess Catherine.
When Prince Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005, she took the title “Duchess of Cornwall”, while Sophie Helen Rhys-Jones, who married Charles’ brother Prince Edward in 1999, was given the title “Countess of Wessex”.
- Prince William, Kate Middleton's wedding reception to have just 300 guests - Jan 10, 2011
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Why Prince William's wife will not be called as Princess Kate - May 01, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton's first lesson is learning when to curtsey to whom - May 02, 2011
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
- Kate may not pledge to 'obey' William - Mar 26, 2011
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - Apr 29, 2011
- Prince William receives Scotland's highest honour - Jul 05, 2012
- Wedding planner for Prince William and Kate Middleton? - Dec 06, 2009
- Like Diana, Kate Middleton too may not pledge to 'obey' hubby - Mar 27, 2011
- How Kate Middleton's in-laws-to-be reacted to engagement announcement - Nov 17, 2010
- Kate Middleton's phone hacked? - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: buckingham palace, camilla parker bowles, commoner, countess, daily telegraph, duchess of cornwall, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, marriage, may 1, prince charles, prince edward, prince of wales, prince william, princess catherine, rhys jones, royal highness, sophie, spokesman, wife kate