William and Harry both set sights on military action in AfghanistanJune 19th, 2009 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 19 (ANI): British Prince William is desperate for an opportunity to fight for his country, while his younger brother Harry hopes that he will once again get a chance to return to Afghanistan as a helicopter pilot.
Both Princes are currently training at the Defence Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury in Shropshire.
While William is flying twin-engined Griffins on his way to becoming an RAF search-and-rescue pilot, Harry is training for the Army Air Corps in the single-engine Squirrel.
“I did not join the Forces to be mollycoddled or treated any different. As far as I’m concerned, if Harry can do it, I can do it,” Times Online quoted William, who has always been kept clear of frontline combat, as saying.
“As future head of the Armed Forces, it is really important to at least get the opportunity to be credible and to do the job I signed up for and do the best I can. It is all I ever wanted to do,” he added.
The 26-year-old Prince might have seen himself doing search and rescue for four or five years, but he hopes to serve in Afghanistan as part of his future operational roles.
“You talk to everyone else and it is impossible. I still remain hopeful that there is a chance,” he said.
Younger Prince Harry said if he could not return to Afghanistan with the Household Cavalry, he would try to go as a helicopter pilot.
“It’s my easiest way to get back to the front line. I love flying helicopters and I hope that I can be better than the best. That is what I have always strived to be, to go out to a front line. My best chance to do it is from a helicopter,” he said.
Harry no longer dreams of flying Apache attack helicopters.
Giving the reason for that, he said: “Brain capacity - I don’t know if I’ve got it for the Apache.”
He revealed that he would prefer the Lynx, a utility helicopter used for support and convoy protection as well as ferrying personnel.
If successful, he could be ready for operations as early 2011. (ANI)
- Prince William 'teases' brother Prince Harry on his 26th b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince Harry Earns Wings! Chosen To Fly Apache Attack Helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince William to receive his wings on Friday - Jan 15, 2010
- Prince Harry 'passes' basic helicopter training course - Aug 16, 2009
- Prince William expresses 'determination' to serve on Afghan front line - Oct 19, 2010
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Kate Middleton gives cooking lessons to Harry - Aug 26, 2012
- Prince Harry may not complete his pilot training - Jun 07, 2009
- Prince Harry one step closer to returning to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 28, 2010
- Prince Harry promoted to Army Captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: apache attack helicopters, army air corps, brain capacity, brother harry, defence helicopter flying school, dreams of flying, griffins, head of the armed forces, helicopter pilot, household cavalry, military action, old prince, prince harry, prince william, raf search and rescue, raf shawbury, rescue pilot, search and rescue, shropshire, utility helicopter