Wildfire destroys hundreds of homes in TexasSeptember 6th, 2011 - 9:39 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 6 (IANS) A huge wildfire has destroyed about 300 homes near Austin city in the drought-hit US state of Texas, authorities said.
The blaze started Sunday afternoon in the Lost Pines area, about 50 km from Austin, Xinhua reported citing local TV channel Khou. No injures have been reported yet.
Till Monday, about 17,600 acres of land, including half of the Bastrop State Park, was burnt. The fire was still burning unchecked, officials said.
About 5,000 people were evacuated from the affected area, and at least 600 of them have been shifter to shelters.
Dry air, high winds from Tropical Storm Lee and drought conditions in Texas have made fighting the fire extremely difficult.
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
- Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homes - Sep 12, 2011
- Wildfire burns 50,000 acres of land in US - Apr 09, 2011
- Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico's largest ever wildfire - Jun 04, 2012
- Arizona Cops Detain Man In Connection With Flagstaff Wildfire - Jun 20, 2010
- 200 homes evacuated due to wildfire in US - Aug 25, 2010
- Ammo train explodes, sets off Siberia wildfire - Jul 26, 2012
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- State of Emergency declared as Arizona wildfires burn over 200,000 acres - Jun 07, 2011
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Man Charged in Flagstaff Wildfire:Campfire Not Properly Put Out - Jun 21, 2010
- Wildfire In Flagstaff Leads To Evacuations - Jun 20, 2010
- Wildfire rages on Spanish island of Ibiza - May 27, 2011
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,