Wikileaks losing 600,000 francs every week since first publicationJanuary 11th, 2011 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 11 (ANI): Julian Assange, the founder of the whistleblower website ‘Wikileaks’, has said his site has been losing 600,000 francs (about 618,000 dollars) every week since it first began publishing diplomatic cables.
According to CBS News, the financial world was shocked when rumours about a major Wikileaks document intending to embarrass one of America’s banking giants, surfaced. Bank of America reportedly set up a crisis team to deal with the dump, and stocks fell on the rumours.
Assange said that although external political pressures on WikiLeaks have not stopped them from carrying on with their mission, financial troubles have certainly caused problems.
However, he did not mention exactly what is costing his website so much money.
“We will not divulge (the banking documents we have) right away. We are too busy with the diplomatic cables and with our financial troubles,” Assange said.
Last year, PayPal, the online payments service, had blocked donations to WikiLeaks and to a German foundation that raises funds for it following the release of 250,000 confidential US government cables.
The rate at which WikiLeaks has released U.S. diplomatic cables to the public has slowed dramatically in the last few weeks. However, Assange said that his website was functioning normally despite the financial difficulties. (ANI)
- WikiLeaks suspends publishing - Oct 25, 2011
- Assange claims he has got secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
- WikiLeaks to auction its co-founder's stuff on eBay - Sep 17, 2011
- WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Appears On CBS's '60 Minutes' - Jan 31, 2011
- Our values are those of US revolution: Assange - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Assange bringing WikiLeaks down' - Dec 23, 2010
- Wikileaks founder Assange likely to hand himself to UK police today over rape charges - Dec 07, 2010
- Assange signs $1.5 mn autobiography deal - Dec 26, 2010
- WikiLeaks releases cables naming top secret sources - Aug 30, 2011
- Assange bitterly disappointed with Oz Govt over barring his entry to country - Dec 05, 2010
- Julian Assange alleges that he has secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
- PayPal says it blocked WikiLeaks after U.S. government request - Dec 08, 2010
- Australian PM fails to name law WikiLeaks has broken - Dec 07, 2010
- Assange hires public relations firm - Jan 08, 2011
- End witch-hunt against WikiLeaks: Assange urges US - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: bank of america, cables, cbs, cbs news, crisis team, donations, financial difficulties, financial troubles, german foundation, giants, julian assange, london jan, much money, payments service, political pressures, stocks, whistleblower, wikileaks