WikiLeaks leadership in crisis as founder faces disputesSeptember 26th, 2010 - 3:57 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Sep 26 (ANI): The leadership of website WikiLeaks seems to be in crisis as the organisation’s German spokesman is set to quit over disputes with founder Julian Assange.
Daniel Schmitt, the German spokesman for the whistle-blower website said he would leave the organisation because the leadership “lost the faith that we are all pulling together.”
“We all had an insane amount of stress in recent months,” News.com.au quoted Schmitt as telling Der Spiegel.
“A few mistakes happened, which is OK, as long as people learn from them. For that to happen, though, one has to admit them. We have lost the faith that we are all pulling together,” he said.
WikiLeaks published nearly 77,000 classified documents on the Afghan war in July, leading to criticism that the website was putting soldiers’ and civilians’ lives at risk.
Schmitt criticised WikiLeaks’ focus on large projects, such as the Afghan war files. He said the organisation was ignoring the importance of smaller national documents and blamed Assange for the problem.
“I tried again and again to push for that, but Julian Assange reacted to any criticism with the allegation that I was disobedient to him and unloyal [sic] to the project,” he said.
He added that other WikiLeaks employees were also dissatisfied with the organisation.
“There is a lot of resentment there and some others, like me, will leave,” said Schmitt, who also revealed that his real name is Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a fact he kept hidden until now because of security fears.
However, WikiLeaks has called the report “misleading.”
“Spiegel report Schmitt resigned which is misleading. Schmitt was suspended a month ago,” their Twitter post read. (ANI)
- Former spokesperson set to blow whistle on WikiLeaks in tell-all - Dec 24, 2010
- Another whistle-blower to rival WikiLeaks - Nov 05, 2010
- Wikileaks founder 'abused cats and wanted women to know their place' - Feb 11, 2011
- Jeremy Renner is in talks with DreamWorks about taking up a role in WikiLeaks film - Jul 24, 2012
- WikiLeaks releases cables naming top secret sources - Aug 30, 2011
- Discovery to air special show on WikiLeaks - Apr 18, 2011
- Does Julian Assange have four love children? - Feb 12, 2011
- Wikileaks founder 'boasted of fathering kids all around the world' - Feb 11, 2011
- Assange's ex-colleague terms Wikileaks founder 'power hungry, 'irresponsible' - Feb 13, 2011
- WikiLeaks boss Julian Assange described as 'filthy bag lady' in new book - Jan 31, 2011
- Vet war files to save Afghanis, WikiLeaks told Pentagon - Aug 05, 2010
- WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Defends Release Of Classified Documents - Oct 25, 2010
- Assange's ego could spell doom for WikiLeak's future: Ex-staffers - Oct 26, 2010
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Assange claims he has got secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: afghan war, allegation, criticised, daniel schmitt, der spiegel, faces, faith, julian assange, leadership, melbourne, months news, national documents, resentment, security fears, soldiers and civilians, spiegel, spokesman, stress, whistle blower, wikileaks