WikiLeaks founder Assange’s mum says Oz PM is a US sycophantFebruary 1st, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Townsville (Queensland, Australia), Feb.1 (ANI): The mother of the founder of the whistle blowing website WikiLeaks, Julian Assange has launched a scathing attack on Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, calling her a “sycophant” of the United States.
Christine Assange said Gillard’s views about her son’s activities are costing her support within her party and among voters who see the democratic value of his work.
The Age quoted her as telling AAP that Gillard has failed to show Australians that she is a guardian of free speech, instead taking a fawning approach to satisfy Australia’s key ally, the United States.
Christine Assange made the comments as her son Julian prepares to face a London court on Monday for the start of legal proceedings to have him extradited to Sweden to face possible sexual assault charges.
Supporters claim the charges have been trumped up to silence him.
Mrs. Assange said the federal government must facilitate her son’s return to Australia and give an iron-clad guarantee it won’t hand him over to Washington.
The Obama administration is looking at whether the whistleblower can be charged over the release of classified documents on his WikiLeaks website. (ANI)
- Assange blames Oz govt. of providing information about WikiLeaks staff to US - Feb 13, 2011
- WikiLeaks founder's mom demands apology from "out of step" Oz PM - Feb 05, 2011
- Assange's mum wants Kevin Rudd to keep his word - Feb 09, 2011
- Assange's mother urges Rudd yet again to protect Wikileaks founder's legal, human rights - Feb 14, 2011
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- WikiLeaks founder's mother worried after Interpol alert - Dec 01, 2010
- Assange's mother wants Australian PM to apologise - Feb 05, 2011
- Britain doesn't know who it is dealing with: Ecuador - Aug 19, 2012
- Wikileaks was warned Oz intelligence provided on Assange to US could lead to 'dirty tricks' - Mar 16, 2011
- Gillard rejects Assange's legal help plea over Wikileaks disclosure of US cables - Feb 02, 2011
- Assange's mother slams Gillard for 'prejudicing' Wikileaks founder's right to fair trial - Mar 07, 2011
- Assange bitterly disappointed with Oz Govt over barring his entry to country - Dec 05, 2010
- End witch-hunt against WikiLeaks: Assange urges US - Aug 19, 2012
- Assange charges Gillard with 'treason' - Mar 15, 2011
- Wikileaks founder 'abused cats and wanted women to know their place' - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: ally, australian prime minister, australians, democratic value, federal government, free speech, guardian, julian assange, legal proceedings, london court, oz, scathing attack, sexual assault charges, son julian, sweden, sycophant, townsville queensland australia, whistle, whistleblower, wikileaks