Wife of Indian attack victim questions suicide versionJanuary 11th, 2010 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 11 (IANS) “Why would he burn himself,” asked the wife of an Indian man who was allegedly set on fire in this Australian city as she dismissed suggestions that her husband may have set himself ablaze.
Jaspreet Singh, 29, was reportedly set upon by four men after dropping his wife at their Grice Crescent home at Essendon about 2 a.m. Friday.
He ran from the car while peeling off his clothes. He suffered burns to 15 percent of his body during the incident.
Singh’s wife, Paramjeet Kaur, Monday brushed aside suggestions that he had set himself alight.
“Why would he burn himself, why would he do that?” The Age quoted her as saying.
“I do not know why they are saying that.”
Police want to re-interview Singh, who is in The Alfred hospital, over the alleged attack.
Some of Singh’s clothing had since been recovered but other items remained outstanding, a police spokeswoman was quoted as saying.
The police said Saturday the incident did not appear to be race-related but a police source said that “there are things that don’t add up” in the initial reports.
There have been a string of attacks on Indians in Australia, causing an outcry in India. Two of the vicious attacks proved fatal. While Ranjodh Singh’s body was found Dec 29, another Indian, Nitin Garg, was fatally stabbed in Melbourne Jan 2.
- Australia a tolerant, anti-racist society: Minister - Jan 11, 2010
- Victoria premier blasts Indian Govt, media for overreaction on racist attacks - Feb 03, 2010
- Indian attacked, set ablaze in Melbourne (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Indian set ablaze in Melbourne; India wants preventive action (Intro Roundup) - Jan 09, 2010
- Indian man set on fire in Melbourne - Jan 09, 2010
- Indian set ablaze in Melbourne, Australia denies racist angle (Round-up) - Jan 09, 2010
- Australian state premier criticises Indian media, officials - Feb 03, 2010
- Jaspreet's family hurt over claims of self incurred burn injuries - Jan 11, 2010
- Two men questioned in Sydney over Indian's murder - Jan 10, 2010
- Indian man attacked, set on fire in Melbourne (Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Indian-origin man allegedly set ablaze in 'racist' Oz attack charged for false complaint - Feb 03, 2010
- Indian torched car to get insurance money for holiday - May 03, 2010
- Australia asked to prevent attacks on Indians - Jan 09, 2010
- Don't cry racism for every attack, says Australia (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- Expedite probe into attacks, India tells Australia - Jan 11, 2010
Tags: alfred hospital, alleged attack, burns, clothes, crescent, four men, garg, India, indian man, indians in australia, initial reports, kaur, melbourne, nitin, outcry, police source, police spokeswoman, suicide, vicious attacks