Wife indicted in Argentine governor’s deathFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Feb 3 (IANS/EFE) The widow of Gov. Carlos Soria, who was shot in the face after a New Year’s eve party, has been indicted on aggravated manslaughter and arms charges, Argentine judicial officials said Thursday.
Susana Freydoz is the only person charged with Soria’s death, the officials said, citing Judge Emilio Stadler.
Freydoz is under observation in the psychiatric unit of the provincial hospital in the city of Cipolletti.
She was hospitalized at the request of her attorney, Alberto Richieri, who said his client’s life was in danger because she might commit suicide, judicial officials said.
The 61-year-old Soria died “from a single shot” to the left side of his face in the bedroom of his ranch in a rural area outside General Roca, a city located about 1,350 km from Buenos Aires.
Police found the governor’s .38-caliber revolver, which was used to fire the fatal shot.
The governor was buried Jan 1 in a private cemetery in General Roca in a service attended only by relatives and a few Peronist Party officials.
Soria, a leader of President Cristina Fernandez’s governing Peronist Party, took office Dec 10 after winning 50 percent of the vote in the September elections.
- Argentine ruling party seeks blood donors for president - Jan 01, 2012
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- Argentine governor 'accidentally' killed by gunshot - Jan 02, 2012
- Argentine TV host home after hospital stay - Aug 21, 2011
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Puerto Rican band honoured by Argentine varsity - Jun 04, 2012
- Actor Alberto de Mendoza is dead - Dec 13, 2011
- Ricky Martin would like to have a daughter - Jun 10, 2011
- Storm leaves 12 dead in Argentina - Apr 06, 2012
- Argentina mulls new tools against domestic violence - Aug 21, 2012
- Argentina railway accident toll climbs to 50 - Feb 24, 2012
- Argentine president recovering after cancer surgery - Jan 06, 2012
- 10 cops charged in gang rape of teenaged boy - Jan 22, 2012
- Argentina legalises same-sex marriage - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: aires, caliber revolver, carlos soria, cipolletti, cristina fernandez, general roca, judicial officials, manslaughter, new year, observation, party officials, peronist party, private cemetery, provincial hospital, psychiatric unit, relatives, rural area, single shot, stadler, susana