Why Osama sought aid for Pakistani flood victims?May 8th, 2011 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 8 (IANS) Why did Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden appeal for global assistance when Pakistan was ravaged by floods last year? Because he was living in Pakistan!
According to the New York Times, when American intelligence was close on the trail of a Pakistani courier who led them to Osama, the terror chief issued two audio statements urging help for the flood victims.
This was in October last year, when ravaging floods in Pakistan killed about 1,700 people and displaced a staggering 20 million.
“We are in need of a big change in the method of relief work because the number of victims is great due to climate changes in modern times,” Osama had said.
US commandos killed Osama in a night raid on his mansion in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city May 2. Pakistani officials repeatedly said they had no clue of Osama’s whereabouts.
- Pakistan provided information on Osama courier, claims governor - May 05, 2011
- Without internet, phone, Osama depended on couriers: NYT - May 08, 2011
- Courier who led US to Osama was a Kuwaiti (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- A white Suzuki car that finally led to bin Laden: NYT - May 03, 2011
- Pakistan was not consulted on Osama raid: Salman Bashir - May 05, 2011
- Osama had lived for some time in village near Abbottabad - May 07, 2011
- Apologise for security lapse on Osama: MQM chief - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan envoy for probe into Osama hideout - May 08, 2011
- Countdown to Osama bin Laden's end (Lead, with fresh matter) - May 02, 2011
- Inquiry into why Pakistan intelligence couldn't track Osama - May 03, 2011
- Osama's courier was Arshad Khan to neighbours: NYT - May 08, 2011
- Osama was wearing shalwar kameez when he was killed: NYT - May 03, 2011
- A courier finally led to Osama: New York Times - May 02, 2011
- Taliban co-founder tipped off US on Osama hideout: Report - May 30, 2011
- Shots at chest, forehead killed Obama, US looks at seized material (Lead) - May 05, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, al qaeda, american intelligence, climate changes, clue, commandos, flood victims, floods in pakistan, global assistance, mansion in pakistan, new york times, night raid, osama bin laden, pakistani officials, terror