Why did Adolf Hitler’s deputy Rudolf Hess come to Britain?October 26th, 2010 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 26 (ANI): A new book has shed light on one of the enduring mysteries of World War Two-why did Adolf Hitler’s deputy Rudolf Hess come to Britain?
The new book-Rudolf Hess: The British Illusion of Peace-has revealed how a heroic spy played a huge part in his capture.
Cunning MI6 agent Tancred Borenius tricked Hess into visiting Britain on the pretence of brokering a peace deal.
However Hess was captured and spent the rest of his life behind bars ‘considerably’ weakening the German Army and ‘directly contributing to the Allied victory’ according to the book’s author, John Harris.
Earlier this year he established that Borenius, a Finish born agent, was involved, something that has never been revealed until now.
The revelation came after Harris secured a rare interview with Borenius’ late son Peter.
During the interview, Peter said that his father remained tight-lipped about his wartime exploits, but revealed his involvement in the Hess affair on his deathbed.
He said his father was sent by MI6 to Geneva, Switzerland, to deliver a secret message to Hess via a third party.
The message was a verbal invite to visit the English Royal Family on the pretext of forging an Anglo-Nazi alliance.
It was always Hitler’s ideal plan to work with Britain, rather than fight it, in a bid to overthrow and conquer Russia.
“From my research, I have concluded that Hess wanted nothing other than to bring Britain to its knees,” the Daily Mail quoted Harris as saying.
“His intention was to depose Churchill, who would never agree to peace with Germany, and replace him with a pro-Nazi leader,” he said.
Harris said the link was one of the most important discoveries in modern military history.
“The incredible plot that led to Hess’s capture bought the UK time from a planned German invasion and ultimately was a pivotal turning point in defeating Hitler and winning the war.
“Without Tancred’s involvement, there can be little doubt that Great Britain, and much of Europe, would be speaking German today,” said Harris.
Rudolph Hess was a prominent Nazi official acting as Adolf Hitler’s deputy in the Nazi Party. (ANI)
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- British Legion's shameful visit to Hitler revealed after 75 years - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Dear Uncle Adolf': documentary details fan letters sent to Hitler - Apr 26, 2010
- Revealed: RAF's bizarre plot to kidnap Hitler through his pilot - Jan 31, 2011
- Adolf Hitler's deputy's ill-fated solo flight to be plot for new film - Mar 21, 2010
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Hitler once worshipped as Vishnu in elite Kolkata homes: Historian - Jun 07, 2010
- Hitler ordered creation of Nazi UFOs to destroy London, New York - Apr 26, 2011
- Hitler's heroic exploits in World War I 'were a Nazi propaganda myth' - Mar 14, 2011
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
- Stalin scuttled two Hitler assassination bids fearing Nazi pact with West: Russian general - May 26, 2010
- Capello's father almost starved to death in Nazi concentration camp - Jun 26, 2010
- Neo-nazis dominate German village where Hitler is still considered Fuehrer - Feb 07, 2011
- Rare Hitler colour photos found - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: adolf hitler, allied victory, britain london, daily mail, deathbed, defeating hitler, geneva switzerland, german army, german invasion, john harris, life behind bars, mi6 agent, nazi alliance, nazi leader, peace deal, rare interview, rudolf hess, secret message, winning the war, world war two