Why Bristol Palin went to People mag to announce break-upAugust 5th, 2010 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 5 (ANI): Bristol Palin announced her break-up with Levi Johnston in People Magazine because she and her family believed that the publication would handle the news in a “fair and dignified” manner.
Ever since Bristol and Levi’s relationship drama has unfolded in the public spotlight, People and Us Magazine have duked it out for exclusive interviews and scoops on the Alaskan couple.
Initially, People came out with the report that Bristol was “taking Levi Back.” Then Us followed up and advanced the story up with its “We’re Getting Married!” cover and an interview with the couple.
However, it was People that triumphed in the celeb weekly battle with its Tuesday confirmation that Bristol had called off her engagement with Levi.
In an interview, People’s Sandra Sobieraj Westfall, who got the breakup scoop, has revealed why she thinks Palin went to her magazine - which has also run a number of stories on Bristol’s mother Sarah Palin.
“The reason she came to me on Monday, when we spoke by phone, was because she felt like she could come to me,” the Politico quoted Westfall as saying.
“She did tell me that announcing their engagement on the front page of a magazine [Us's late July cover story] was Levi’s idea, and she only found out about it two days before it happened.
“In her own way, she was trying to do the right thing.
“This is one of the most contentious stories I’ve covered. These are very bitterly estranged people,” she added.
This implies that the Palin camp prefers People while the Johnston camp goes for Us.
Westfall recognizes the competition between the two magazines over the story, but SAID: “I’m not sure that I’ve spent a whole lot of time on lobbying” for exclusive news bits and interviews.”
“I do feel like every interview that we’ve gotten with the Palins - whether it’s Sarah or Bristol - has been because of our record of fair and dignified coverage.
“Just [Tuesday] night, after we posted the Bristol breakup story online, I got an e-mail from someone in the Palin camp saying, ‘Thank you. Once again you were fair and dignified,’” added Westfall. (ANI)
- Bristol Palin has a new boyfriend - Jan 25, 2011
- Bristol Palin, Levi Johnston back together after 'mama Palin out of picture'? - Jun 16, 2010
- Mercede Johnston says that Bristol Palin is the most evil person that she knows - Aug 09, 2011
- Us Weekly 'paid $100K for Bristol Palin, Levi Johnston reunion story' - Jul 17, 2010
- Bristol Palin's Ex-Fiance Levi Johnston Dating Sunny Oglesby? - Dec 21, 2010
- Levi Johnston And Bristol Palin Rekindled Their Relationship? - Jun 30, 2010
- Bristol Palin calls it quits with fiance - Aug 04, 2010
- Bristol Palin appears on The View - Jul 08, 2011
- Sarah Palin's Daughter, Bristol, Dancing With the Stars, & Dumps Levi Johnston - Aug 28, 2010
- Sarah Palin 'hasn't accepted' daughter's fiancee Levi Johnston - Jul 22, 2010
- Kathy Griffin Mourns Losing Levi Johnston On Video - Jul 21, 2010
- Sarah Palin's daughter claims she doesn't take financial help from mum - May 07, 2010
- Kathy Griffin is a 50-year-old adult bully, says Sarah Palin - Mar 07, 2011
- Levi Johnston takes back Palin apology - Aug 28, 2010
- Levi Johnston wishes he'd never apologized to Sarah Palin - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: alaskan couple, bristol, confirmation, do the right thing, front page, levi, magazines, mother sarah, people mag, people magazine, public spotlight, relationship, sandra sobieraj, sarah palin, scoop, scoops, tuesday night, westfall, whole lot