Who is James von Brunn?June 11th, 2009 - 2:30 am ICT by John Le Fevre
James W von Brunn, an 88-year-old white supremacist from Maryland has been identified by police as the person responsible for today’s shooting at the US Holocaust Museum.
Sgt. David Schlosser, a spokesman for the US Park Police, said von Brunn walked into the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum armed with a shotgun and opened fire on a security guard before being shot and seriously wounded by two other guards.
The security guard and the gunman were both transported to George Washington University Hospital with serious injuries.
A spokesman for the museum, Andy Hollinger, said in a statement that after the gunman opened fire, “two Museum security officers returned fire hitting the assailant.”
Scores of police and emergency vehicles converged on the scene, blocking 14th Street, a major artery between downtown Washington and the Virginia suburbs.
A witness said she heard five shots and saw a security guard lying wounded on the ground.
“It was definitely a security guard, he was down bleeding on the floor,” she said. “He was face down. His back … blood was coming out.”
- Holocaust Museum security guard Stephen Johns dead - Jun 11, 2009
- White supremacist James von Brunn arrested for Holocaust Museum shooting - Jun 11, 2009
- Who are white supremacists? - Jun 11, 2009
- James Von Brunn Identified as Holocaust Museum Shooter - Jun 11, 2009
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooter charged with first degree murder - Jun 12, 2009
- Gunman opens fire at Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. - Jun 11, 2009
- 88-year-old White supremacist kills Holocaust Museum guard - Jun 11, 2009
- Suspected Holocaust Shooter Dies - Jan 07, 2010
- Gunshots reported near White House - Nov 12, 2011
- Jewish organization condemns shooting incident at U.S. Holocaust Museum - Jun 11, 2009
- Guard shot at US Holocaust museum dies - Jun 11, 2009
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Three die in US shopping plaza shootout (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Holocaust Memorial Museum to re-open on Thursday - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: assailant, brunn, face down, five shots, george washington university, george washington university hospital, gunman opened fire, hollinger, holocaust, holocaust memorial, holocaust memorial museum, holocaust museum, museum security, police and emergency vehicles, security guard, security officers, u s holocaust memorial museum, us park police, virginia suburbs, white supremacist