White rhino calf born in UAE zooMarch 15th, 2012 - 12:58 am ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, March 14 (IANS/WAM) A rare white rhinoceros calf — considered the “most social” of all rhino species — has taken birth at the Al Ain zoo in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Until the calf is put on display, it will be cared for by the zoo’s keepers and monitored closely by veterinarians.
Despite their size, the white rhinos are agile and can run at speeds up to 50 km per hour.
The white rhino is found in just five countries, including South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Uganda.
It was almost extinct in the early 20th century. In 2001, it was estimated that there were 11,670 white rhinos in the wild with a further 777 in captivity worldwide.
By 2007, wild white rhinos had increased to an estimated 17,480 animals.
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- Meet Obama, Uganda's first baby rhino in 28 years - Aug 04, 2009
- UAE zoo offers special safari for kids - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- UAE releases 100 bustards in Uzbekistan - Jun 13, 2011
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012
- North Carolina's zoo elephant to get contact lenses on order - Jun 20, 2012
- Bihar, Tripura zoos to exchange rare animals - Jun 13, 2010
- Javan rhino is extinct in Vietnam - Oct 25, 2011
- Chinese farm threatened African rhino for horns: Report - Mar 07, 2010
- Three rhinos found dead in Kenyan national park - Apr 15, 2012
- UAE warns against selling diseased animals - Feb 12, 2011
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Dubai to build new zoo - Feb 13, 2012
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
Tags: 20th century, abu dhabi, al ain zoo, animals, captivity, kenya, rhino, rhino calf, rhino species, rhinoceros, rhinos, south africa namibia, uganda, united arab emirates, veterinarians, wam, white rhino, white rhinoceros, white rhinos, zimbabwe