White House welcomes new Libyan ambassadorSeptember 10th, 2011 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US President Barack Obama has received new Libyan Ambassador to America Ali Aujali and accepted his credentials to represent his country and its transitional government, an official said.
Obama welcomed Aujali at the Oval Office Friday to mark the formal beginning of the ambassador’s service in Washington.
“The US congratulates the Libyan people for their courage and determination to chart a new and democratic future for their country,” National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement.
The Libyan embassy in Washington was shut down in March shortly before the beginning of a NATO military campaign in Libya.
Aujali, who was the Libyan envoy to Washington at the time, strongly criticised the Muammar Gaddafi regime for using violence against protesters. He was one of the first Libyan officials to resign and side with the rebels.
The Libyan embassy in Washington was reopened Aug 18 after an official recognition of the National Transitional Council by the Obama administration.
Washington has also given new Libyan diplomats access to roughly $13 million in assets that had been frozen as part of sanctions against Gaddafi’s regime.
- Libyan embassy in Washington re-opens under rebel government - Aug 12, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
- NATO operation in Libya to continue: Obama - Sep 21, 2011
- EU to unfreeze Libyan banks' assets - Dec 22, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Japan freezes $4.4 bn worth of Gaddafi regime assets - Jun 04, 2011
- US to release $1.5 bn in Libyan funds - Aug 26, 2011
- Obama, Berlusconi agree to raise pressure on Gaddafi - Apr 26, 2011
- Libya jails foreign mercenaries for helping Gaddafi - Jun 04, 2012
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Chemical, nuclear weapons found in Libya - Oct 31, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Militants escape from Libyan jails - Aug 26, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- International group agrees on aid to Libya rebels - May 05, 2011
Tags: administration washington, barack obama, dg, diplomats, embassy in washington, gaddafi regime, libya, libyan ambassador, libyan embassy, military campaign, muammar gaddafi, national security council, national transitional council, oval office, protesters, rebels, ria novosti, sanctions, transitional government, vietor