White House takes new moves to spur private hiringOctober 29th, 2011 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 28 (IANS) The Obama administration Friday announced new executive branch efforts to help job creation in the nation’s private sector.
US President Barack Obama Friday told federal government agencies to help high-growth businesses accelerate technology transfer and commercialisation process, and to help small businesses and exporters to access government services, reported Xinhua
This was the administration’s latest pitch to circumvent Congress to shore up job creation and economic growth.
Facing a sluggish economic growth and stubbornly high unemployment rate now at 9.1 percent, Obama unveiled a $447 billion jobs plan on Sept. 8, which includes measures like payroll tax cuts for employers and employees as well as new investment in infrastructure projects.
However, Republican Senators scuttled the jobs package on Oct 11, and a portion of the bill, which provided $35 billion to state and local governments to prevent layoffs of teachers, police officers and firefighters, failed to advance in the Senate on Oct 20.
The White House was taking a host of small-bore executive branch moves to bypass the Congress obstruction to boost the weak economy this week, including helping more distressed homeowners refinance their loans and helping students manage their loan debt.
- Obama presses jobs plan passage to bridge income gap - Oct 30, 2011
- Biden presses Congress to pass Obama's jobs bill - Nov 05, 2011
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.5 percent, lowest in almost 3 years - Jan 07, 2012
- US loses 54,000 jobs, Obama promises new package - Sep 04, 2010
- US economy needs 'jolt right now', says Obama - Oct 06, 2011
- US Senate Oks job bill for veterans - Nov 11, 2011
- Bill Clinton book hails Obama anti-crisis measures - Nov 06, 2011
- Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory - Dec 23, 2011
- US economy on road to recovery: White House - Feb 18, 2012
- Obama urges Congress to act on 'To-Do List' to spur economy - May 12, 2012
- US hopes to draw 100 mn visitors annually by 2021 - May 11, 2012
- US company acquires Randstad's Indian payroll business - Jan 16, 2012
- CII-India Business Forum welcomes Obama's job creation agenda - Jan 27, 2011
- Obama launches plan to help families facing foreclosure - Oct 26, 2011
- Obama's plan to help 3.5 mn homeowners (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: barack obama, commercialisation, distressed homeowners, economic growth, executive branch, federal government agencies, firefighters, government services, growth businesses, infrastructure projects, job creation, layoffs, new moves, oct 11, payroll tax, police officers, republican senators, state and local governments, unemployment rate, xinhua