White House congratulates royal couple on their weddingApril 30th, 2011 - 5:11 pm ICT by BNO News
LONDON (BNO NEWS) — The White House has congratulated Prince William and Princess Catherine on their wedding at London’s Westminster Abbey on Friday.
“We congratulate Prince William and Catherine Middleton [..] on their wedding and wish them a lifetime of happiness together,” said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney. “The United States has no closer friend in the world than the United Kingdom.”
Carney added that the American people extend heartfelt congratulations to the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, which consists of 54 independent member states. “[We] share in their hopes for a bright future for the Royal couple,” he added.
U.S. President Barack Obama did not attend Friday’s marriage service as it was not classed as a state occasion since Prince William is not yet heir to the throne. An estimated two billion people watched the royal wedding on television and online.
When Carney was asked aboard Air Force One whether or not Obama and his wife had watched any of it on television, the press secretary said the president had been able to see some of it.
“I haven’t spoken with the First Lady about it, but the President did mention that he caught a little bit of it this morning over breakfast, but obviously was busy getting ready for this trip,” Carney said, referring to Obama’s trip to Alabama which has been devastated by tornadoes.
Prince William is second-in-line to the British throne.
- White House congratulates British royal couple - Apr 30, 2011
- UK Government trying to make money out of Royal Wedding - Feb 04, 2011
- Hindus urge Prince William, Kate to visit Hindu temple after wedding to seek blessings - Nov 17, 2010
- Becks 'honoured' to be a part of Will-Kat royal wedding - Apr 30, 2011
- Wills-Kate invite 1,900 guests to their royal wedding - Feb 20, 2011
- Medvedev congratulates British royal couple - Apr 29, 2011
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Obamas will not be invited to Prince William's wedding - Dec 17, 2010
- Prince William reveals pre-wedding nerves - Apr 01, 2011
- ISS astronauts congratulate British royal couple - Apr 29, 2011
- Morrissey slams Royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Osama's death grabs more eyeballs in India than royal wedding - May 03, 2011
- Fans camp at Westminster Abbey for Royal Wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- Victoria & David Beckham attend the Royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: air force one, barack obama, bno, bright future, carney, first lady, heartfelt congratulations, heir to the throne, independent member, lifetime of happiness, marriage service, press secretary, prince william, princess catherine, royal couple, royal wedding, state occasion, tornadoes, westminster abbey, white house press