Where was Charlie Chaplin born?February 18th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 17 (IANS) British intelligence officers found no record of Charlie Chaplin’s birth when they probed him over over suspected Soviet ties, secret files have revealed.
The mystery of the silent film legend’s origins emerged when the US asked Britain to probe his background after his exile from America in 1952 over suspected links to the Communist Party, the express.co.uk reported Friday.
Despite checking under his supposed alias, Israel Thornstein, MI5 officers found no documents confirming he was born in Walworth, south London in 1889.
They also dismissed claims he was born in France, according to papers released by The National Archives.
But they found no Communist ties and the files said that he held “little security significance” and “we are not satisfied there are reliable grounds for regarding him as a security risk”. Chaplin died in 1977.
- Bond screenwriter was suspected of being a communist agent - Aug 26, 2010
- Unused Chaplin manuscript found in Italy - Jun 29, 2012
- 'The Artist' cliched, melodramatic, but brilliant (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Feb 26, 2012
- Hindus greet Chaplin's grandson for undergoing traditional Hindu wedding in India - Feb 20, 2011
- Charlie Chaplin Come To INDIA For The 1st Time - Dec 08, 2010
- Fans salute comedian Charlie Chaplin at festival in Gujarat town - Apr 23, 2010
- Rare Chaplin footage found - Jul 10, 2011
- Bhavna's 'Happi' black-and-white tribute to Charlie Chaplin - May 03, 2011
- Chaplin comes to India this X-Mas in high definition - Dec 03, 2010
- China ordered crystal casket for Mao Zedong's body - Jun 10, 2012
- British intelligence probed Nobel laureate for spying - Aug 26, 2010
- Missing file no big deal: IAF chief - Jan 11, 2011
- Lost Charlie Chaplin movie to premiere at last - Jul 18, 2010
- Charlie Chaplin 'was born in a Gypsy Queen's caravan' - Feb 18, 2011
- Chargesheet filed over Ranvir Sena chief murder - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: alias, born london, british intelligence, charlie chaplin, communist party, exile, express co, film legend, intelligence officers, israel, london feb, mi5, mystery, national archives, origins, security risk, silent film, south london, ties