When Bill Clinton ‘lost vital White House nuclear codes’October 21st, 2010 - 4:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 21(ANI): Former US President Bill Clinton had lost a card with a set of numbers for opening the briefcase containing the codes for a nuclear attack, a former top military officer has revealed.
Former Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Hugh Shelton revealed in his new memoir, “Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior”, that the President lost the card, which is known as the biscuit, in 2000.
“At one point during the Clinton administration the codes were actually missing for months. That’s a big deal — a gargantuan deal,” the Telegraph quoted Shelton, as having written in his memoir.
A similar claim was made by retired Lieutenant Colonel Robert Patterson, a former aide, in a book published seven years ago.
Patterson, who was one of the men who carried the briefcase, had claimed that the President had misplaced the card in 1998.
“He thought he just placed them upstairs,” Patterson recalled.
“We called upstairs, we started a search around the White House for the codes, and he finally confessed that he in fact misplaced them. He couldn’t recall when he had last seen them,” Patterson said.
Clinton was the 42nd President of the United States, serving from 1993 to 2001. (ANI)
- Clinton 'lost vital White House nuclear codes' - Oct 21, 2010
- US lost link with 50 nuclear warheads for 45 minutes - Oct 27, 2010
- Bill Clinton Wept Over Monica Lewinsky, Hugh Shelton's Memoir Claims - Oct 08, 2010
- Book reveals that Bill Clinton wept over Monica Lewinsky scandal - Oct 08, 2010
- Ex- US President Bill Clinton Wept Over Monica Lewinsky - Oct 08, 2010
- PBS to air documentary about Clinton Lewinsky affair - Feb 15, 2012
- Zardari said Mehsud not behind Benazir's killing: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- Bill Clinton book hails Obama anti-crisis measures - Nov 06, 2011
- Two arrested for selling fake gold biscuits in Delhi - May 10, 2012
- Cannot make exceptions for Sahara in IPL: BCCI president (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- After 26/11, Zardari told US Pakistan will retaliate if India attacks - Dec 01, 2010
- Chris Hitchens Memoir: 'Bill Clinton Loved PotLaced Brownies' - May 04, 2010
- Hillary Clinton holds discussions with Egyptian military chief - Jul 15, 2012
- I have no interest in Indian politics: Chatwal - Mar 31, 2011
- US repositioning military forces around Libya for 'any eventuality' - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: 42nd president of the united states, american warrior, biscuit, briefcase, chiefs of staff, clinton administration, colonel robert, general hugh shelton, hesitation, joint chiefs of staff, lieutenant colonel, memoir, military officer, nuclear attack, president bill clinton, president of the united states, robert patterson, set of numbers, us president bill, us president bill clinton