Wheelchair gunman shot dead by police after stand-offJune 29th, 2009 - 7:04 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, June 29 (DPA) A paraplegic gunman who terrorized a suburban street by firing about random 100 shots from his wheelchair was shot dead by New Zealand police after a three-hour stand-off, police confirmed Monday.
They said the drama in the Christchurch suburb of Burnside began Sunday night after Shayne Richard Sime, 42, called his family, saying he was suicidal. News reports said that Sime had a head injury and was drunk.
A police officer and a 39-year-old neighbour were shot during the stand-off in the cul-de-sac where the gunman lived. Police said the officer suffered head injuries and was lucky to have been wearing a percussion helmet.
The neighbour was peppered with pellets from his shoulders to his groin. Both victims were taken to hospital and later discharged, but police said the officer would return Monday for minor surgery.
Police-inspector Dave Lawry told reporters early Monday morning that Sime had been shot dead after refusing demands to put down the shotgun and rifle he used.
Reports said that about 40 residents, some in pyjamas, were evacuated from their homes during the stand-off.
- Pregnant Pakistani woman burnt to death in Britain - Oct 16, 2010
- Brit mum jailed for not returning cricket ball! - Jul 10, 2010
- Eight killed, one injured in Ohio shooting spree - Aug 08, 2011
- Armed 15-year-old US student shoots himself after tense hostage situation - Nov 30, 2010
- Brit man used schoolgirl, 15, as sex toy in cult's initiation ceremony - Feb 10, 2011
- Briton killed in Afghan police shooting - Jul 23, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Armed man who took hostages in bank arrested - Jun 29, 2010
- Gunman kills one, takes another hostage in German town - Jul 05, 2012
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- Lara Bingle uses payout from ex-fiance Michael Clarke to buy $880K home - Sep 16, 2010
- 17 dead in Norway twin attacks - Jul 23, 2011
- Man shot dead after killing son, nephew in US - Aug 24, 2010
- Nadia Bloom found alive after spending 5 days in the woods - Apr 14, 2010
- Gunman outside US embassy in Sarajevo arrested: Police - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: burnside, cul de sac, early monday morning, groin, gunman, head injuries, head injury, helmet, lawry, minor surgery, neighbour, news reports, pellets, percussion, police inspector, police officer, shotgun, sime, suburban street, zealand police