What’s your town in US? Monkeys Eyebrow, Boring, Climax?August 8th, 2012 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS) From Monkeys Eyebrow to Belchertown, America is full of weird and downright embarrassing town names. But Toad Suck is apparently the worst, according to a global poll.
The family history website findmypast.com. surveyed 2,000 people from seven English speaking countries, and some wacky names did even make the top 10.
These included Who’d Thought It in Texas, No Name in Colorado, and Elephant Butte in New Mexico, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
“You can judge the strength of the short-list from the quality of the names that failed even to make it”, said Josh Taylor, genealogist and spokesperson for the website.
Toad Suck beat Climax in Georgia, a town of 300 people, and Boring in Oregon, which, surprisingly, has a namesake in Maryland.
Monkey’s Eyebrow in Ballard county, Kentucky, just made the list at number 10.
One theory behind the origin of the rural community’s unique name is that a map of the county resembles a monkey’s head.
- America's Boring is now twin town of Britain's Dull - Jun 07, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- 'Chronicle' blends genres with clever twists and turns (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 04, 2012
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- National report ranks Kentucky second in stimulus transparency - Jan 28, 2010
- Ashton and Keira are top celeb names chosen by Brit parents for kids - May 29, 2009
- Northern Kentucky counties meet Ozone standard - May 14, 2010
- Police release surveillance photo of Cal Ripken Jr.'s mother's kidnapping - Jul 27, 2012
- Chef Of A Restaurant In Iowa Fined For Licking And Smooching Toads - Aug 13, 2010
- Egg Recall Raises Concern About Salmonella Infection - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: ballard county kentucky, belchertown, climax, daily mail, elephant, elephant butte, english speaking countries, family history website, genealogist, global poll, josh taylor, monkeys eyebrow, namesake, new mexico, rural community, spokesperson, toad, toad suck, town names, wacky names