What happens when a person uses Internet while asleepDecember 14th, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 1 (ANI): Researchers from the University of Toledo have reported the first ever case of someone using the Internet while asleep.
A 44-year-old woman sent emails to people asking them over for drinks and caviar while asleep, reports the Telegraph
It was only when a would-be guest phoned the next day to accept, that she found out what she had done.
The woman had gone to bed at around 10pm, but got up two hours later and walked to the next room.
She then switched on the computer, connected to the Internet, and logged on by typing her username and password to her email account. She then composed and sent three emails.
Each was in a random mix of upper and lower cases, not well formatted and written in strange language.
The researchers have described the new variation of sleepwalking as “zzz-mailing”.
“We believe writing an email after turning the computer on, connecting to the Internet and remembering the password displayed by our patient is novel, the study stated.
“To our knowledge this type of complex behaviour requiring coordinated movements has not been reported before in sleepwalking.
“She was shocked when she saw these emails, as she did not recall writing them. She did not have any history of night terrors or sleepwalking as a child,” the study added.
The researchers said that unlike simple sleepwalking, the activities their patient was involved in requires complex behaviour and coordinated movements including typing, composing and writing the messages.
She was also able to remember her password and turn the computer on and connect to the Internet, although she has no memory of the event.
The researchers believe that the woman’’s sleep walking may have been triggered by prescription medication, although the causes of the phenomenon are not fully understood.
The new case has been published in the latest edition of medical journal Sleep Medicine. (ANI)
- The Most Commonly Used Passwords Revealed - Dec 21, 2010
- Daily stress increases "sleep texting" disorder - Nov 23, 2011
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Woman sleepwalks to death - Dec 22, 2011
- Earthlink Webmail: The New Mailing System In Your iPhones - Nov 19, 2010
- Arrests made in malware fraud case which infected millions of computers worldwide - Nov 10, 2011
- Coming soon: Stronger, more effective password protection - Apr 21, 2011
- 46pc Brits use same password for every website - Jan 02, 2010
- Sexsomnia runs in the family, says expert - Oct 22, 2010
- French research shows humans repeat day's activity while asleep - Mar 26, 2011
- Thousands of Facebook users fall for an email scam - Mar 20, 2010
- Kim Kardashian's Twitter account hacked - Feb 23, 2011
- Simple passwords easier to hack: experts - Jan 21, 2010
- Chinese hacker leaks data of six mn people - Mar 22, 2012
- Punishment for Chinese who hack foreign computers - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: caviar, connecting to the internet, drinks, email account, medical journal, medication, new case, night terrors, novel, old woman, phenomenon, prescription medication, random mix, sleep medicine, sleep walking, sleepwalking, strange language, telegraph, university of toledo, variation