Westminster clock tower is leaningOctober 9th, 2011 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 9 (IANS) The Westminster clock tower is leaning and this is noticable from outside.
Endless underground building works have been blamed for the tiny topple and civil engineers say the problem is only getting worse, The Sun reported.
Built in 1853, the London tower is sinking into the ground more on the north side of the 315ft building. Its movements have led to cracks in walls in other areas of the House of Commons.
The top of the tower, which houses the historic Big Ben, is nearly one-and-a-half feet off centre.
John Burland, an emeritus professor from Imperial College London, said: “The tilt is now just about visible.
“I have heard tourists there taking photographs saying ‘I don’t think it is quite vertical’ - and they are quite right.
“If it started greater acceleration, we would have to look at doing something but I don’t think we need to do anything for a few years yet.”
Compared to the four degree slant of Italy’s Leaning Tower of Pisa, the clock tower slants at a fraction of that at 0.26 degrees. To lean over as far as its Italian counterpart would take another 4,000 years.
- Big Ben Tower is leaning over - Oct 10, 2011
- The slightly less Leaning Tower of Pisa after 8-year makeover - Dec 14, 2010
- Scaffolding removed from Leaning Tower of Pisa after 20 years - Apr 23, 2011
- Sony launches world's first tilting television - Nov 17, 2010
- New woman in Kutcher's life? - Dec 29, 2011
- Sony launches world's first tilting TV - Nov 18, 2010
- 'Capital Gate' building in the UAE named World's Furthest Leaning Man-made Tower - Jun 06, 2010
- Australia's Big Ben Cricket Stunt Could Bring Legal Action - Oct 29, 2010
- Students Block Leaning Tower Of Pisa And Colosseum To Mark Protest - Nov 27, 2010
- Newton was right: We better judge falling objects when upright than prone - Apr 28, 2011
- Woman dies after leaping from Leaning Tower of Pisa - May 16, 2012
- Kutcher rubbishes dating rumours - Jan 03, 2012
- UAE structure may find place in Guinness Book - Dec 07, 2009
- Astronomers identify extremely unusual galaxy - Mar 22, 2012
- Model to show how toe strength determines body balance while leaning - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: acceleration, big ben, civil engineers, clock tower, cracks, emeritus professor, fraction, house of commons, imperial college london, italian counterpart, italy, leaning tower of pisa, london tower, photographs, slant, slants, tilt, tourists, tower of pisa, westminster