Werder Bremen put Peruvian Pizarro’s signing on holdMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bremen (Germany), March 11 (DPA) Werder Bremen will make no decision on retaining striker Claudio Pizarro until it knows the outcome of an investigation into alleged tax evasion and money laundering involving the player’s adviser.
Klaus Allofs, the club’s sports director, was quoted by Tuesday’s local Kreiszeitung Syke newspaper as saying it would await the results of the investigation being conducted by authorities in Peru.
Peruvian striker Pizarro is on loan from Chelsea, but Werder would like to make the signing a permanent one. Pizarro, 30, has scored 19 goals in all competitions this season.
“From a sporting and personal point of view we would like keep Claudio but we have to await the outcome of the investigation in Peru because we cannot put ourselves outside the law,” Allofs said.
The investigation is focusing on Pizarro’s business partner, the player agent Carlos Delgado. Pizarro has himself denied acting as a player’s agent or being involved in Delgado’s agency.
As a result of the investigations, Werder chairman of the board Juergen L. Born has temporarily stepped down from all offices at the club.
According to German media reports, Born has been accused of receiving money from the 2001 transfer of Peruvian striker Roberto Silva from Sporting Cristal Lima for $1.35 million.
Born has denied receiving any payments but said he was forgoing his duties “until the final clarification of the matter.”
- Peruvian striker Pizzaro leaves Werder Bremen - May 16, 2012
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- Bayern Munich signs striker Pizarro - May 27, 2012
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- German side Bremen signs Kevin de Bruyne on loan - Aug 07, 2012
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Werder Bremen reject Real Madrid offer for Oezil - Aug 14, 2010
- Real Madrid signs German WC star Ozil - Aug 18, 2010
- Bremen expect World Cup stars Oezil, Mertesacker to stay - Jul 11, 2010
- Bremen coach Schaaf delighted to go through - Feb 10, 2010
- Bayern breeze back to the top; Schalke win, Bremen on slide - Jan 31, 2010
- Shakhtar Donetsk win UEFA Cup (Lead) - May 21, 2009
- Argentina remain on top despite 1-1 draw - Sep 12, 2012
- Werder Bremen first club through to UEFA Cup quarter-finals - Mar 19, 2009
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: bremen germany, business partner, carlos delgado, chairman of the board, clarification, claudio pizarro, dpa, german media, germany march, klaus allofs, kreiszeitung syke, march 11, money laundering, permanent one, personal point, s sports, sporting cristal, sports director, tax evasion, werder bremen