Werder Bremen first club through to UEFA Cup quarter-finalsMarch 19th, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Saint-Etienne(France), March 19 (DPA)German Bundesliga club Werder Bremen has become the first club to move into the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup after holding French side St Etienne 2-2 on the night to advance 3-2 on aggregate.
St Etienne, who last season finished fifth in the French first division, but this season have slipped down into the relegation zone, rested several key players including Paul Machado.
Coach Alain Perrin explained before the game that the club’s priority was to fight against relegation.
The home side’s chances of progressing were made even harder after just six minutes when Sebastian Proedl opened the scoring for Werder Bremen from their first corner, heading past goalkeeper Jeremie Janot.
Peruvian international striker Claudio Pizarro, who is facing allegations of having financially benefited from transfers in contradiction to FIFA rules, doubled his side’s lead in the 28th minute with a diving header from a pin-point Mesut Ozil cross.
After the French side had gone down by two goals a large part of their fan block turned around and danced with the backs to the match in protest at Perrin’s decision to bench his best players.
Bremen continued to dominate in the second half, but it was St Etienne who scored the goal when Yohan Benalouane headed home after a cross from Cedric Varrault in the 64th minute.
Sebastien Grax found an unexpected equalizer for the home side two minutes into injury time after a fine solo effort saw him go past three Bremen players.
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- Bremen coach Schaaf delighted to go through - Feb 10, 2010
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Real Madrid signs German WC star Ozil - Aug 18, 2010
- German side Bremen signs Kevin de Bruyne on loan - Aug 07, 2012
- Shakhtar Donetsk win UEFA Cup (Lead) - May 21, 2009
- Ozil has raised his game at Real: Loew - Jun 08, 2012
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Peruvian striker Pizzaro leaves Werder Bremen - May 16, 2012
- Reigning champion Dortmund defeat Bremen in season opener - Aug 25, 2012
- Bayern breeze back to the top; Schalke win, Bremen on slide - Jan 31, 2010
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Germany warm up for World Cup tests by beating South Africa - Sep 06, 2009
- Marica keeps Stuttgart's title hopes alive - May 14, 2009
Tags: alain perrin, cedric varrault, claudio pizarro, equalizer, fan block, fifa rules, france march, french side, german bundesliga club, goalkeeper, injury time, pin point, quarter finals, relegation zone, saint etienne france, six minutes, solo effort, st etienne, uefa cup, werder bremen