We won’t trot out Osama photos as trophies: Obama (Lead)May 5th, 2011 - 3:28 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 5 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has decided not to release photos of killed Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s body saying, “We don’t trot out this stuff as trophies”.
Announcing Obama’s decision “not to release any of the photographs of deceased Osama bin Laden”, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney read a quote from Obama to CBS “60 Minutes” to be telecast Sunday.
“When they landed, we had very strong confirmation that it was him. Photographs had been taken. Facial analysis had indicated that in fact it was him. We hadn’t yet done DNA testing, but at that point we were 95 percent sure.”
Obama saw the pictures? “Yes.”
Reaction? “It was him.”
Why not release them? “We discussed this internally. Keep in mind that we are absolutely certain that this was him. We’ve done DNA sampling and testing. So there was no doubt that we killed Osama bin Laden.”
“It is very important for us to make sure that very graphic photos of someone shot in the head are not floating around … as a propaganda tool. That’s not who we are,” Obama said.
“We don’t trot out this stuff as trophies. … I think Americans and people around the world are glad that he is gone. But we don’t need to spike the football. … would create some national security risk.”
Carney said in reaching the decision about not releasing the photos, Obama talked about it with Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“He held his opinion very firmly,” Carney said.
Asked about CIA Director Leon Panetta’s claim that a photo would be released, Carney said there’s a “compelling argument” for releasing information. He says Obama was “engaged” in the discussion.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Osama death photos will not be released: Obama - May 05, 2011
- US will not release Osama Bin Laden death photos: Obama - May 05, 2011
- US will "ultimately" release pictures of bin-Laden's body - May 04, 2011
- Osama bin Laden's photo to be published: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- Obama has `robust agenda' for India-US trade - May 13, 2011
- Bin Laden died before US raid: Iranian intelligence minister - May 10, 2011
- Someone in Pakistan knew about bin Laden's hideout: Panetta - Jan 28, 2012
- Osama would have been taken alive if he had surrendered: White House - May 05, 2011
- US Senate panel cuts Pakistan aid over doctor's jailing - May 25, 2012
- No apology for raid to kill Osama: US to Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Osama was unarmed but killed as he resisted, says US (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- US revises story of Osama's killing; says he was not armed - May 04, 2011
- Probe sought into White House role in Osama movie - Aug 11, 2011
- Palin to Obama: Stop 'pussy-footing around' over release of Osama death photos - May 05, 2011
- White House silence fuels speculation on Osama's end - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,