We had a good chance of beating Australia: MisraApril 25th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) India’s non-playing Davis Cup captain S.P Misra says the players were disappointed at Australia’s withdrawal from next month’s Chennai tie. He feels India’s chances of winning the tie were high even with the presence of former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the visitors’ squad.
Misra said they had made all preparation and the players were looking forward to the tie.
“I am disappointed with Tennis Australia’s decision. We were all prepared for the
tie. The logistics and other arrangements were done. I was in constant touch with the players.
“There was an option whether to play in the evening or during the day. The players wanted to grind it out under the sun. We had every chance of wining this tie, Hewitt or no Hewitt.”
“We were very keen to beat Australia.”
Tennis Australia Saturday refused to send its team for the May 8-10 tie in Chennai after the International Tennis Federation board turned down its appeal to shift it out of India due to security reasons.
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Pat Rafter, Tony Roche set to inspire Oz Davis Cup team - Oct 20, 2010
- Davis Cup: Somdev happy with weather and courts - Sep 15, 2011
- Chennai ideal Davis Cup venue to host Australia: Misra - Mar 17, 2009
- Chennai to host India-Brazil Davis Cup tie - Jun 05, 2010
- India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tie - Apr 16, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Chandigarh to host India-New Zealand Davis Cup tie - Apr 10, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Chennai to host India-Australia Davis Cup tie - Mar 17, 2009
- Somdev to lead Indian challenge in Davis Cup, CWG - Aug 13, 2010
- Australia may boycott India Davis Cup tie following Chennai being declared safe - Apr 24, 2009
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- Hewitt slams ITF for fining Australia - May 25, 2009
Tags: australia tennis, chennai, constant touch, davis cup, federation board, good chance, India, international tennis federation, lleyton hewitt, logistics, misra, New Delhi, presence, security reasons, sun, tennis australia