Washing powder is the smell that reminds most of their mumsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:03 am ICT by admin
However, some said that the smell of perfume reminded of their mums.
The survey was reviewed by fragrance expert Professor Tim Jacob, of the School of Biosciences at Cardiff University.
“Smells can trigger memories deep inside the brain that go back to early childhood,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
“You may have been a baby in a cot with mum washing clothes next to you - the strong and distinctive smell of washing powder will bring back those memories of feeling secure, safe and loved,” he added.
As regarding to the whiff that reminded people of their fathers, tobacco dominated the list beating the conventional fragrance of Old Spice aftershave lotion.
Freshly baked bread emerged to be the favourite smell, with two-third of the respondents going for the aroma. Other top smells include fish and chips, fresh air and bracing sea breezes.
Respondents also said that some smells were so powerful that they wanted to ‘eat’ them.
Fresh air was the smell most people wanted to eat followed by newly mown grass and sea breeze.
“Freshly baked bread is a common favourite because our bodies crave carbohydrates and the whiff of bread about to be served floods our brain with “feel good” chemicals.” Professor Jacob said:
“There are suggestions that smell can influence mood, memory, emotions, mate choice, the immune system and hormones.
“We certainly underestimate the importance of smell to our wellbeing - just ask an anosmic, someone who has lost some or all of their sense of smell.
“Some anosmics suffer from depression and their quality of life is severely affected. At the moment there is little that can be done to help them,’ he added.(ANI)
- Smell of freshly baked bread, clean sheets make Brits happy - Dec 07, 2009
- Baked potato triggers positive memories! - Apr 03, 2012
- Smells of toast, perfume, washing powder 'make a house a home' - Dec 18, 2009
- Toast is Britain's favourite smell - Sep 11, 2010
- 50 things that make people happy - Oct 29, 2011
- Kim hopes to relive glorious past with fragrances - Jun 24, 2011
- Why fish 'n' chips or an ABBA song trigger a rush of memories - Aug 06, 2010
- Fish and chips aroma is Brits Most Favourite Smell - Aug 27, 2008
- Bruce Willis launches his own cologne - 'Bruce Willis' - Jul 07, 2010
- Timberlake struggles to control his hair - Jul 04, 2012
- Men love 'the scent of roast dinner on women' - Oct 29, 2010
- Why do our senses evoke vivid memories? - Aug 08, 2010
- Beckham uses Victoria's beauty products - Nov 13, 2010
- Feasting on Holi delicacies (Recipes) - Mar 06, 2012
- Britney to release two-in-one fragrance - May 24, 2012
Tags: aftershave lotion, baked bread, brain, cardiff university, distinctive smell, fragrance, fresh air, jacob, mail, mate choice, mown grass, mums, nostalgic feelings, old spice, professor tim, respondents, sea breezes, those memories, washing clothes, whiff