Washing lines considered ‘a health and safety risk’ in UK!September 11th, 2010 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 11 (ANI): Residents in the UK have been ordered to remove washing lines from balconies for health and safety reasons.
Croydon Council managers wrote to thousands of tenants telling them that washing lines and three-pronged rotary clotheslines must be removed so as to prevent “heavy and wet” clothing from falling onto people below.
The fear is that residents will overload their washing lines and their clothes will be blown off in high winds - causing injury to anyone walking underneath.
Most tenants, forcing the council to threaten legal action, ignored an original letter saying that washing lines were an “eyesore” and should be removed.
The new letters, sent out this week, inform council tenants that if they do not remove the washing lines from their balconies they face losing their homes.
But angry residents say that even if they did have gardens to hang up their washing, thieves would take it.
A Croydon Council spokesman confirmed that tenants who did not remove the rotary clothes lines immediately were warned they face legal action.
“The use of rotary dryers attached to a balcony or a walkway presents a health and safety risk to other residents if they fall,” the Telegraph quoted Council spokesman as saying.
“This could happen in high winds or when the dryer is overloaded with heavy and wet washing. They are also an eyesore,” he added. (ANI)
- Floods, transport chaos hits Sydney - Mar 08, 2012
- Housing officials in UK ban welcome mats over health and safety fears - Nov 25, 2010
- Ikea's racism row over employment of security guards - Jun 13, 2012
- South Croydon mudslide causes disruption in 5 railway lines - Aug 02, 2011
- De Niro's apartment catches fire - Jun 09, 2012
- Meat found laden with banned chemicals in Hong Kong - Sep 29, 2010
- Briton used air freshener on Asian kids - Feb 15, 2011
- Drunk held for gas blast threat - Mar 24, 2012
- 190,000-pound bridge to help mice cross road - Aug 25, 2010
- Washing machines polluting sea shores - Oct 21, 2011
- Washing machines contaminate seas with plastic bits - Dec 22, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor's unforgettable affair with Kashmir - Aug 16, 2011
- Strong winter storm warning for the New England area - Feb 25, 2010
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Man dies after getting entangled in clothes airer - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,