Was Sarah Palin added to John McCain’s ’short list’ for gender balance?March 13th, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 13 (ANI): A campaign manager of John McCain has revealed that Sarah Palin was added to the US Senator’s ’short list’ of possible running mates for gender balance.
Rick Davis said that McCain wanted at least one woman to be included on the list, reports the Politico.
The Senator entered the vice presidential selection process with a list of five possibilities - Tim Pawlenty, Mitt Romney, Michael Bloomberg, Charlie Crist, and Joe Lieberman, according to the latest edition of Washingtonian (which is not available online) of Washington lawyer A.B. Culvahouse, who led the search.
“As the clock was running out, [campaign manager Rick] Davis say McCain asked to have at least one woman on the short list. His advisers went back to the long list and plucked out Palin’s name,” the magazine reported.
The questions of how thoroughly Palin was vetted, and why she was chosen, have been sore spots that helped divide McCain’s campaign in its aftermath between its leadership, who saw her as an out-of-control, destructive force, and another group of staffers who saw her as a more promising figure than McCain himself. (ANI)
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- McCain opts out of 2012 GOP presidential candidature endorsements - Feb 04, 2011
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Palin raising cash for McCain by offering donors chance to get clicked with her - Mar 09, 2010
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- McCain was still hoping to name a male running mate - Sep 02, 2008
- McCain fails to name Palin in GOP star list - Apr 15, 2009
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in new movie 'Game Change' - Apr 28, 2011
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: aftermath, campaign manager, charlie crist, destructive force, gender balance, joe lieberman, john mccain, michael bloomberg, mitt romney, possibilities, presidential selection, rick davis, running mates, sarah palin, selection process, staffers, tim pawlenty, us senator, washington lawyer, washingtonian