War veteran becomes oldest Brit to earn black belt at 89!March 15th, 2009 - 4:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 15 (ANI): Brit granddad and war veteran John Fleming has become the oldest person in the UK to earn a black belt in ju-jitsu at the age of 89.
Fleming, a granddad of four, has always been interested in martial arts and he is planning on trying kickboxing next.
Its an indescribable feeling, its my passion, the Mirror quoted him as saying.
The OAP of Basildon, Essex revealed his lifelong interest in self-defence started when he serving in Libya in 1941.
We had nothing to do but wrestle each other, he said.
Ive been accosted in town. People see a little man with grey hair and put their hands on me, but I knew what to do, enough to see them off, he added. (ANI)
- Meet the 77-yr-old Brit granny who's a black belt in ju-jitsu! - Jul 05, 2010
- Son dies from drug use: Briton kills dealer, hangs himself - Jul 05, 2012
- Want to promote Indian wrestling talent: Raj Kundra - May 05, 2012
- 'Udumban' To Revive Native Martial Arts In Kollywood - Jan 10, 2011
- TV set crushes boy to death - Jul 08, 2011
- Putin meets Van Damme at mixed fight championship - Jul 15, 2010
- Assam cop is longest barefoot runner in world - Apr 17, 2012
- Will 'Ring Ka King' popularise wrestling in India? - Jan 21, 2012
- Brit manager has best sickness record with no leaves taken in 43-yrs - Jan 28, 2011
- LA schools' no to Oliver's cooking show over fears of wrong portrayal - Feb 07, 2011
- UFC bans Fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller after latest loss - May 29, 2012
- Assam constable runs 156 km barefoot - Jan 31, 2012
- Van Damme all set for a kickboxing match with a Thai boxer - Jan 30, 2010
- Muay-Thai Kick Boxing master promotes the art in Northeast - Nov 17, 2009
- Jammu girl wins bronze in Asian martial art championship (With Image) - Aug 10, 2009
Tags: 1941, basildon essex, black belt, brit, granddad, grey hair, john fleming, kickboxing, libya, lifelong interest, little man, london, martial arts, mirror, oap, oldest person, passion, self defence, town people, war veteran