Want to live beyond 100, take ‘magic pill’May 12th, 2010 - 6:54 am ICT by IANS
London May 12 (IANS) Scientist are working on a project to develop a “magic pill” that would allow people to live beyond 100 and be fit and healthy.
Researchers have identified genes that extend life and prevent diseases including Alzheimer’s, diabetes and cancer, reported dailyexpress.co.uk.
Professor Nir Barzilai, a researcher into the ageing process, told experts at London’s Royal Society that the drugs could be on sale in 18 months.
One key factor seen in people who reach 100 is high levels of “good” cholesterol high density lipo-protein (HDL). Professor Barzilai, from New York’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine, found centenarians who had this were protected against Alzheimer’s.
“Global pharmaceutical companies Merck and Roche are developing a drug which will promote the increase in HDL,” he said.
The pill would be taken in your 40s or 50s. Though talking on other perspectives he added: “There will be issues, such as pensions and social security, but from a medical perspective it’s better to stay healthy”.
- Centenarians possess genes for a ripe age - Aug 04, 2011
- Soon, 'magic pill' that will allow people to live beyond 100 - May 11, 2010
- FDA rejects combo cholesterol drug - Mar 07, 2012
- Coming soon: 'live to 100' pill that could eliminate diabetes, Alzheimer's - Feb 03, 2010
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
- Pill To Help Human Live Past 100 Due Out in 2012 - May 13, 2010
- Some 'good' cholesterol unable to protect heart - May 09, 2012
- Smoking moms' kids more vulnerable to heart disease - Jun 23, 2011
- 'Longevity gene' may help prevent memory decline in elderly - Jan 13, 2010
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Cholesterol levels in young adults predict future heart disease risk - Aug 03, 2010
- Not smoking increases levels of good cholesterol - Nov 15, 2010
- Soy beats milk in cholesterol lowering: Study - Jan 19, 2011
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: 40s, 50s, ageing process, albert einstein, albert einstein college, albert einstein college of medicine, centenarians, cholesterol, college of medicine, dailyexpress, einstein college of medicine, genes, high density, magic pill, medical perspective, merck, pensions, pharmaceutical companies, researcher, roche