Wall Street tumbles on economy worriesJanuary 30th, 2009 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
New York, Jan 29 (Xinhua) Wall Street tumbled Thursday as a series of economic data and earnings reports suggested that the economic conditions were deteriorating.The US Labor Department reported that the number of continuing unemployment benefit claims increased by 159,000 to 4.78 million during the week ending Jan 17, the highest on records since 1967 and much worse than economists’ expectation of 4.65 million.
Meanwhile, the number of initial jobless benefit claims in the week ending Jan 24 was only 1,000 lower than the 26-year high of 589,000 reached in late December.
The US Commerce Department said Thursday that new orders for durable goods dropped by 2.6 percent last month, worse than the 2 percent decline economists expected.
A separate report from the Commerce Department showed that new home sales fell 14.7 percent in December to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 331,000, from a downwardly revised November figure of 388,000. It was the lowest on records dating back to 1963.
Earnings reports added to the recession worries. Ford Motor. posted a fourth-quarter loss of $5.9 billion Ford announced its decision to cut about 20 percent of the workforce in its credit unit, which means 1,200 jobs.
Shares of financial companies declined sharply after Wednesday’ s rally on “bad bank” proposal.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 226.44 points, or 2.70 percent, to 8,147.97. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index lost 28.95 points, or 3.31 percent, to 845.14. The Nasdaq Composite Index slid 50.50 points, or 3.24 percent, to 1,507.84.
- US stocks mixed - Jan 28, 2012
- US stocks end mixed (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- US stocks rise amid IMF report, Goldman results - Jan 19, 2012
- US stocks rally on housing data - Apr 27, 2012
- US stocks decline as tech sector overshadows positive GDP report - Jan 30, 2010
- US stocks tumble on weak economic data - Jan 23, 2009
- Wall Street cheers strong gains in first quarter - Apr 01, 2011
- Wall Street stocks close first week of 2010 higher - Jan 09, 2010
- US stocks slightly lower in thin trading - Jan 27, 2012
- US stocks end higher - Jan 26, 2012
- US stocks fall on bleak earnings - Jan 14, 2012
- US stocks edge mixed (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Sensex gains for third straight week, up 584 points (Weekly market review) - Jan 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 80 points up, on SBI and rupee shows (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Wall Street ends lower amid mixed economic data (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, durable goods, earnings reports, economic conditions, economic data, economists, ford motor, fourth quarter, jan 24, jan 29, nasdaq composite index, quarter loss, recession, s 500, unemployment benefit, us commerce department, us labor department, xinhua