‘Vuvuzela’, ’spillcam’ make their way to ‘Top Words of 2010′November 15th, 2010 - 11:38 am ICT by ANI
London, Nov 15 (ANI): This year’s major events seem to have coined new terms too - ’spillcam’ and ‘vuvuzala’ for instance, are amongst the top words of 2010.
While ’spillcam’ refers to reflecting the global impact of the months-long oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, ‘vuvuzela’ are the noisy South African horns at the World Cup football tournament, reports The Telegraph.
According to the annual Global Language Monitor survey, ‘Refudiate’ - a word coined by US politician Sarah Palin in a cross between refute and repudiate - also made the top 10.
The Texas-based survey uses a mathematics formula to track the frequency of words and phrases in the English-speaking world of more than 1.58 billion people.
The survey also declared that President Hu Jintao of China and Apple’s new iPad were the two top names of the year on a list that also featured “Chilean Coal Miners”, a reference to the televised rescue in October of 33 men trapped deep in a mine. (ANI)
- Palin's 'refudiate' named word of the year - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Refudiate' just a typo, Palin now says - Dec 29, 2010
- Merriam Webster Enlists "Refudiate" As Sarah Palin's Word Of The Summer - Sep 08, 2010
- Merriam-Webster's Word of the Summer is Sarah Palin's 'refudiate' - Sep 08, 2010
- Now, Palin claims her record-setting 'refudiate' gaffe was only a typo - Dec 28, 2010
- Kate Middleton dethrones Lady Gaga as top fashion buzzword - Feb 09, 2011
- Tebowing officially added to the English Language - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Moving forward' tops list of 2010's most annoying phrases - Dec 23, 2010
- Merriam-Webster Announces Sarah Palin Word Of Summer - Sep 08, 2010
- Sarah Palin's Coined Word 'Refudiate' Recognized As Word Of The Year - Nov 16, 2010
- Palin likens herself to Shakespeare with newly coined word 'refudiate' - Jul 19, 2010
- Palin makes another grammatical error by misusing the word 'cackle' in a tweet - Aug 20, 2010
- 'Vuvuzela' voted word of the World Cup - Jul 13, 2010
- Shakespalin: Sarah Palin Creates New Word, Tweeters Create New Hashtag - Jul 21, 2010
- Sarah Palin's invented word 'refudiate' sparks off a 'Shakespalin' trend on Twitter - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: apple, china, coal miners, football tournament, global impact, global language, gulf of mexico, horns, hu jintao, ipad, london, mathematics, oil spill, phrases, politician, president hu jintao, sarah palin, telegraph, vuvuzela, world cup football