Volkswagen unveils world’s most economical car doing 313 miles per gallonJanuary 27th, 2011 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 27 (ANI): Automobile manufacturer Volkswagen has unveiled the world’s most economical car, which it says can travel 313 miles on a gallon of diesel.
The XL1 Super Efficient Vehicle emits just 38 grammes of carbon dioxide per mile travelled, and it is also likely to be the vehicle of choice for green enthusiasts, the Daily Mail reported.
The two-seater, which is powered by an 800cc TDI two-cylinder diesel engine linked to an electric motor, was unveiled at the Qatar motor show this week and it is due to go on sale in 2013.
It weighs just 795kg as it is built around a carbon fibre reinforced polymer exterior, and it can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 11.9 seconds and has a top speed of 99mph.
The car is just under four metres long, the same size as the Volkswagen Polo, and sits lower off the ground than a Lamborghini sports car at 1.18m tall.
Volkswagen chairman Dr Martin Winterhorn has said the XL1 will go on sale in Britain and Germany first at an affordable price. (ANI)
- Brit team sets world record of 1,527 miles in car on one fuel tank - Oct 04, 2010
- Green hybrid supercar zooms with jet turbine - Sep 30, 2010
- Volkswagen launches Touareg, Beetle variants - Jan 05, 2012
- Diesel VW Passat Goes 1,531 Miles on Single Tank of Fuel - Oct 05, 2010
- Volkswagen Group India achieves impressive sales growth of 180.7 per cent in 2010 - Jan 22, 2011
- Sports cars of the future - silent swoosh instead of a roar - Nov 28, 2009
- Britons may soon fly cars! - Jul 19, 2011
- Tata Nano to be featured at New York design museum - Dec 12, 2009
- Electric cars 'are as dirty as diesel cars' - Feb 24, 2011
- Volkswagen to reduce Polo, Vento prices to boost sales - Sep 04, 2012
- Diesel cars beat hybrids in fuel efficiency - May 06, 2011
- Volkswagen's Recent Launch: L1 - Sep 18, 2009
- A battery-powered car that can speed up to 155mph, travel 186 miles! - Mar 25, 2011
- Petrol cars for Polo Cup - May 17, 2012
- Volt goes 1000 miles between refills - May 03, 2011
Tags: 18m, automobile manufacturer, carbon dioxide, carbon fibre, cylinder diesel engine, daily mail, diesel engine, dr martin, economical car, enthusiasts, germany, grammes, lamborghini, london jan, miles per gallon, polymer, sports car, top speed, volkswagen, volkswagen polo