Volcano erupts in JapanFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 2 (Xinhua) Mount Asama, a volcano in central Japan erupted early Monday, spewing hot rocks and ash. No major damage was reported, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.The 2,568-meter volcano, straddling central Gunma and Nagano prefectures, about 145 km from Tokyo, erupted at 1.51 a.m. Monday, the meteorological agency said. TV reports showed ash showering down in neighbouring regions.
Authorities in the town of Karuizawa in Nagano prefecture said about two millimetres of ash lay scattered in the area but no lava could be seen.
The last major eruption of the volcano happened in 2004, causing damage to crops.
On Sunday, the agency had raised the volcanic eruption alert level for Mount Asama from two to three on the five-stage warning scale, prohibiting people from going to Mount Asama.
Japan has 108 active volcanoes and is one of the most seismically busy areas in the world.
- Japanese volcano erupts, spews smoke 2,000 metres in air (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Mount Asama in Japan - Feb 02, 2009
- Volcano erupts near Tokyo - Feb 02, 2009
- Volcano erupts in Indonesia - Jul 15, 2011
- Strong eruptions from Japan's Shinmoedake prompts evacuations - Feb 01, 2011
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- Russian volcano erupts - Jun 17, 2011
- Experts warn of another ash volcano in Iceland - Feb 10, 2011
- Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Japan's Kanto region - Apr 16, 2011
- Yellowstone super-volcano eruption could happen - Jan 25, 2011
- Indonesia's Mount Lokon volcano erupts - Feb 10, 2012
- Spain partly closes air space due to volcanic ash cloud - May 08, 2010
Tags: active volcanoes, central japan, early monday, eruption of the volcano, feb 2, gunma, hot rocks, japan meteorological agency, japan tokyo, karuizawa, lava, major eruption, millimetres, mount asama, nagano prefecture, nagano prefectures, neighbouring regions, tv reports, volcanic eruption, xinhua