Volcano eruption in Colombia kills 10November 23rd, 2008 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Nov 23 (IANS) At least 10 people have been killed and many injured in the eruption of Nevado del Huila volcano in Columbia, EFE news agency reported Sunday.Interior and Justice Minister Fabio Valencia Cossio told reporters that 10 people had died in the eruption that occurred Thursday night.
The authorities have been unable to reach the highest parts of the volcano, which is located 285 km southwest of capital Bogota, as bad weather has kept helicopters carrying supplies out of the area and the roads were damaged by avalanches that occurred at the time of the eruption.
“The situation is pretty serious because we have been left practically on an island and I have confirmation that two people have been killed,” said Marco Tulio Tocono, governor of Talaga reservation, which is closest to the volcano.
The governor of the nearby Huila reservation, Jair Cuspian, reported the disappearance of eight people. Civil authorities in the region have said that some 150 people were trapped in the upper part of the canyon of a river and bad weather was hampering efforts to rescue them.
The eruption of the Nevado del Huila volcano Thursday night formed a crater approximately 400 meters (1,300 feet) in diameter on one of the peaks of this mountain range in southwest Colombia.
The volcano is located in the central Andean range of Colombia, in a region where the provinces of Huila, Tolima and Cauca come together.
- Colombian volcano erupts - Jul 02, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- First jail sentence for environmental crime in Colombia - Dec 12, 2010
- Five killed in Colombia by landslide inside gold mine - Jun 15, 2011
- Hundreds moved to safety as Colombian volcano erupts - Apr 16, 2008
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- 17 killed in Colombia bus accident - Nov 22, 2010
- Picasso painting stolen in Colombia - Oct 26, 2011
- 12 Colombian rebels killed - Jul 12, 2010
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- 29,000 Colombians evacuated due to floods - Apr 24, 2011
- Massive landslide kills two, 145 missing in Columbia - Dec 06, 2010
- Colombia volcano erupts - Jun 09, 2009