Volcanic ash may reach North AmericaApril 21st, 2010 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Volcanic ash from Iceland’s Eyjafjallajokull volcano will cross the Atlantic and reach North America by Wednesday, British meteorologists have said.
The meteorologists said the ash will cloud Canada’s Labrador Peninsula, the Newfoundland Island and smaller islands.
The eruption on the Eyjafjallajokull Glacier in Iceland, which began April 14, paralysed air traffic throughout Europe, leaving thousands of travellers stranded and forcing more than 20 countries to close their airspace.
Europe has gradually reopened the skies, but it will take weeks for the situation to be normal.
Ash from the volcano, located some 120 km from Iceland’s capital Reykjavik, is at present being ejected to a height of some 4 km.
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
- German airports reopen after ash cloud closure - May 10, 2010
- 140 mn cubic metres ash spewed from Iceland volcano - Apr 19, 2010
- Iceland volcano ash blows to north - May 23, 2011
- Polish airspace safe despite Iceland volcano eruption - May 24, 2011
- European no-fly zone shrinks, but remains subject to change - Apr 20, 2010
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Iceland's volcano disrupts flights, ash plume dropping down - Apr 19, 2010
- Volcanic ash cloud damaging airlines more than 9/11: Experts - Apr 20, 2010
- Musician releases song to aid pronunciation of Iceland volcano Eyjafjallajokull! - Apr 21, 2010
- Iceland's volcanic ash cloud disrupts flights across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Volcano eruption: Flight cancellations leave thousands stranded - May 25, 2011
- Iceland orders evacuations over volcanic activity - Apr 14, 2010
- Experts warn of another ash volcano in Iceland - Feb 10, 2011
- Passengers stuck as volcanic ash spreads across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: air traffic, airspace, april 14, canada, capital reykjavik, europe, glacier, labrador peninsula, meteorologists, mj, moscow, newfoundland island, north america, paralysed, ria novosti, travellers, volcanic ash, volcano