Vodka drunk Russians drowning daily in bid to beat summer heatJuly 15th, 2010 - 3:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 14 (ANI): Russians, many of them drunk on vodka, are drowning daily as they head to water to escape the current three-week heat wave, which may set a record of 37C this weekend.
Over 1,200 people have drowned across Russia in June this year, including 233 between July 5 and 12.
“Russia’s Emergencies Ministry is very worried by the current situation. In the last day alone, 49 people drowned, including two children,” The Scotsman quoted Vadim Seryogin, a department head at the ministry, as saying.
“The majority of those drowned were drunk. The children died because adults simply did not look after them,” he added.
Russian president Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday that the heat was a major problem for Russian agriculture, echoing concerns from Russia’s grain lobby, which said the country was undergoing the worst drought in 130 years of weather observations.
According to The Telegraph, Vodka-drinking groups - some with small children - can be seen at lakes and ponds in and around Moscow.
Last week, six children drowned in the Sea of Azov in southern Russia because the summer camp employees who were minding them were drunk.
Weather forecasters say the heat wave will last another week. (ANI)
- 1,200 Russians drowned in 2010 summer - Jul 16, 2010
- 40,000 Russian firefighters to lose jobs - Jul 10, 2012
- Medvedev, IMF chief to discuss world financial system - Nov 07, 2011
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Medvedev bans Gaddafi family in Russia - Mar 14, 2011
- Medvedev meets Obama - May 20, 2012
- Two more children drown in pond in Rajasthan - Aug 19, 2012
- Medvedev says Russia's fire situation 'still tense' - Aug 12, 2010
- Medvedev urges Russians to vote, 'make right choice' - Dec 02, 2011
- Woman drowns three kids, self - Oct 25, 2011
- Number of priests in Russian armed forces to triple - Nov 18, 2011
- Russia stops foodgrain exports - Aug 15, 2010
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Kremlin launches campaign against excessive vodka consumption - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: current situation, dmitry medvedev, drought, emergencies, heat wave, july 14, lakes and ponds, moscow, russian agriculture, russian president, russians, scotsman, sea of azov, southern russia, summer camp, summer heat, vadim, vodka, weather forecasters, weather observations