Vladimir Putin claims Russian fighter jet superior to US rivalJune 18th, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 18 (ANI): Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has claimed that the country’s newest fighter would trump a US-built rival, the F-22 Raptor.
Putin watched a test flight of a “fifth-generation” stealth fighter, dubbed the T-50 and billed as Russia’s first all-new warplane since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
“This machine will be superior to our main competitor, the F-22, in terms of manoeuvrability, weaponry and range,” The Telegraph quoted Putin as telling the pilot after the flight, according to an account on the government website.
According to the premier, the plane, manufactured by Sukhoi, would cost up to three times less than similar aircraft in the West and could remain in service for 30 to 35 years with upgrades.
According to the government website, the test pilot told Mr Putin the controls of the T-50 allowed the pilot to operate most of the plane’s systems without releasing the joystick, which he said would be very useful under high gravitational forces.
“I know, I’ve flown,” Mr Putin replied. (ANI)
- Russia's 5G fighter makes first demonstration flight - Aug 18, 2011
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- China used downed US F-117 Nighthawk to reverse engineer its first stealth jet - Jan 24, 2011
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- Russia's fifth-generation fighter jet makes maiden flight - Jan 29, 2010
- Antony wants international pressure on Pakistan to dismantle militant camps - Oct 07, 2010
- New Russian fighter plane Sukhoi T-50 completes its test flight - Feb 06, 2010
- New Russian stealth fighter developed - Feb 02, 2010
- New Russian Fighter Plane Takes Test Flight - Feb 06, 2010
- Online images show test flight of Chinese stealth fighter - Jan 11, 2011
- Lockheed denies media reports, says F-22 not joining final day of Aero India 2011 - Feb 11, 2011
- Russia to start 5th generation fighter tests in 2010: Deputy PM - Dec 08, 2009
- China's latest stealth aircraft J-20 takes a test run - Jan 05, 2011
- New Russian Fighter Completes Its Maiden Flight - Feb 01, 2010
- India-Russia combat jet may compete in South Korean tender - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: 35 years, collapse of the soviet union, competitor, f 22 raptor, fifth generation, fighter jet, government website, gravitational forces, joystick, russian fighter, russian prime minister, stealth fighter, sukhoi, telegraph, test flight, test pilot, three times, vladimir putin, warplane, weaponry