Visitor tears head off Hitler wax statueJuly 5th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 5 (DPA) A man tore the head off a wax statue of Adolf Hitler in Berlin Saturday, minutes after the new branch of the Madame Tussauds wax-work museum chain opened for the first time to the public. German police said the man, 41, was detained.
The decision by London-based Madame Tussauds, part of the Merlin Entertainments company, to include Hitler in the 75-figure museum has roused fierce passions in the German capital.
Responding to suggestions that it might become a site of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis, Tussauds depicted Hitler as a broken man in his bunker just before his 1945 defeat and death.
The Saturday opening was extensively reported in the German media.
- Germany's first Hitler exhibition seeks to break age-old taboos - Oct 13, 2010
- Unemployed German fined 900 euros for beheading Adolf Hitler waxwork - May 13, 2009
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
- Kim Kardashian's wedding waxwork unveiled - Aug 21, 2011
- Russell Brand wax statue unveiled at Madame Tussauds - Oct 11, 2010
- Colin Firth immortalized in wax - Dec 15, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- Neo-nazis dominate German village where Hitler is still considered Fuehrer - Feb 07, 2011
- Bradley Cooper wax statue at Madame Tussauds - Jul 20, 2011
- Hitler billboard outrages diplomats in Thailand - Oct 18, 2009
- Former Hitler aide, 97, signed 'start order' for mass execution of Jews - Dec 09, 2010
- Madame Tussauds To Launch Eight Wax Statues Of Lady GaGa In Different Locations - Nov 08, 2010
- UK tour firm slammed for $3100 Adolf Hitler tour - Jan 10, 2011
- Rihanna's Wax figure now graces Berlin - Aug 30, 2011