Virgin Atlantics steamy ad dubbed sexist, offensive to womenFebruary 11th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 11 (ANI): Virgin Atlantics new ad showing men lusting over glamorous red-suited airhostesses has come under fire for promoting sexism.
The advert has also been deemed offensive.
Englands Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has received 29 complaints over the ad campaign, which also includes press advertising, insisting that the ads are insulting to women.
The 90-second TV commercial shows female cabin crew walking through an airport for Virgin Atlantics first flight in 1984.
Onlookers turn their heads and men ogle the sexy hostesses with dreamy looks on their faces, enthralled with the progression. One man drops his mobile phone and another squirts sauce from his hamburger down his shirt.
The ad ends with a scantily dressed woman painted on the side of the Virgin plane winking as the plane takes off, with the line still red hot.
However the advertising watchdog has cleared the ad of sexism claims.
“The general crux of the complaints was that the ad was offensive because it was sexist and presented a stereotypical view of gender roles,” News.com.au quoted the ASA as saying.
“We considered that most viewers would understand that the ad presented exaggerated stereotypical views of the early 1980s and played upon perceived attitudes of that time in a humorous way,” it added.
According to UKs Telegraph, a spokesman for Virgin Atlantic said that the advertising campaign has been well-received.
“The ASA has rightly dismissed these complaints, which probably come from competitors jealous of our fantastic cabin and flight crew, he said. (ANI)
- Virgin Atlantic's 'red hotties' voted the most attractive cabin crew - Feb 10, 2011
- Best-looking flight crew survey dubbed 'very offensive' - Feb 24, 2011
- Unusual requests of plane passengers revealed by cabin crew - Feb 02, 2011
- Raunchy ads 'put flight attendants at sexual abuse risk' - Jul 01, 2010
- Oz's flight attendants union calls for end to 'sex object' ads - Jul 03, 2010
- Brian McFadden involved in alleged drunken outburst on Virgin flight to Oz - Feb 17, 2011
- 'Overly sexual' cartoon ad offends British TV viewers - Apr 28, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing after drunken brawl - Oct 26, 2010
- Sofa King advert banned by UK Advt Standards Agency - Mar 01, 2012
- Jumbo Jet Forced To Land By Roy Anthony Heaps - Oct 27, 2010
- Plane makes emergency landing in London - Apr 16, 2012
- Malaysia Airlines bans babies from first class - Jun 30, 2011
- Virgin's 'sexy stewardesses' ad gives wings to male fantasies - Oct 02, 2010
- 'Anti-German' radio ad banned in UK - Jan 20, 2010
- Roy Anthony Heaps' family feud disrupts flight - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: ad campaign, advert, advertising campaign, advertising standards authority, asa, cabin crew, crux, first flight, flight crew, gender roles, news com au, onlookers, press advertising, sexy hostesses, stereotypical view, stereotypical views, tv commercial, uks, virgin atlantic, virgin atlantics