Violence causes over 25 percent of teen deaths in BrazilJuly 19th, 2012 - 11:05 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, July 19 (IANS/EFE) Violent incidents - including accidents and suicides - accounted for over 25 percent of adolescent deaths in Brazil in 2010, a nearly fourfold increase since 1980, a study released Wednesday shows.
The Map of Violence Among Children and Adolescents was prepared under the direction of Julio Jacobo Waiselfisz, a researcher with the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences, based on statistics from the Brazilian health and justice ministries.
The 8,686 minors slain in Brazil in 2010 represented 43.3 percent of all murder victims that year. The figure translated into a rate of 13.8 homicides per every 100,000 residents up to the age of 19.
Just over 27 percent of violent teen deaths were the result of traffic accidents, while 19.7 percent were due to suicide or other types of events.
The Map of Violence also compared Brazil with other nations in the Americas.
The study ranked Brazil as the hemisphere’s fourth-most-dangerous country for adolescents, behind only El Salvador, with 18 murders per 100,000 minors; Venezuela, 15.5; and Trinidad and Tobago, with 14.3 homicides for every 100,000 residents 19 and under.
On the positive side, the researchers found that the murder rate among young people in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro declined from 25.9 per 100,000 in 2000 to 17.2 in 2010.
- Mexico home to five of world's 10 deadliest cities - Jan 15, 2012
- Murders up 145 percent in Mexico over five years - Jul 30, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Over 2,000 killed in Mexican border city in 2010 - Sep 02, 2010
- AIDS on the downswing in Brazil, but 630,000 still sick - Nov 29, 2011
- TV personality slain in Honduras - Apr 24, 2012
- Brazil has 14 of world's 50 most violent cities - Jan 14, 2012
- 3 men gunned down at Mexican hospital - Oct 13, 2010
- Foreign investment in Brazil quadrupled in five years - Dec 16, 2011
- Strike halts work on mega-dam in Brazil - Apr 24, 2012
- Crime erupts in Brazilian city as cops go on strike - Feb 05, 2012
- Brazil moves to contain rise of real - Mar 02, 2012
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Chevron detects new oil leak in Brazil - Mar 17, 2012
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,