Vietnam hosts first gay paradeAugust 5th, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Hanoi, Aug 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Over 100 demonstrators Sunday rode bicycles and motorcycles through Vietnam capital Hanoi in the first gay pride parade in the communist state.
The activists drove across the capital’s central street with balloons and rainbow flags, calling for equal rights for gays and lesbians.
Until recently, Vietnam considered homosexuality as a “social evil” along with drug addiction and prostitution.
In a surprise move in July, Justice Minister Ha Hung Cuong said it might well be time to consider changes in the law on marriage and the family to recognise same sex marriages.
Cuong said he thought it was “unacceptable to create social prejudice against the homosexual community”.
He also said the legal rights of same-sex couples should be protected.
“The state should also have legal mechanisms to protect the legitimate rights such as legal personality, property ownership or children (if any) of same sex couple living together.”
Vietnam’s law on marriage and the family currently prohibits same sex unions. Vietnam could become Asia’s first nation to legalise gay marriages.
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Argentina legalises same-sex marriage - Jul 16, 2010
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Mexico City legalises same-sex marriage - Dec 22, 2009
Tags: communist state, cuong, drug addiction, equal rights for gays, gay pride parade, gays and lesbians, homosexual community, legal mechanisms, legal personality, legitimate rights, marriage and the family, rainbow flags, ria novosti, same sex couples, same sex marriages, same sex unions, social evil, social prejudice, surprise move, vietnam capital