Vietnam criticises India’s anti-dumping dutiesMarch 31st, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hanoi, March 31 (DPA) Vietnamese authorities Tuesday criticised India’s decision to impose anti-dumping duties on Vietnamese textiles.
“This decision is unfriendly and unreasonable,” said Nguyen Thanh Bien, Vietnam’s deputy minister of trade and industry.
India Friday imposed anti-dumping duties on thread and fabrics imported from China, Thailand and Vietnam.
According to Nguyen Duc Thanh, deputy director of Vietnam’s Competitiveness Administration, the initial anti-dumping tariff on Vietnamese thread and fabrics is 16.32 percent. The tariff is based on preliminary findings by Indian authorities that Vietnamese fabrics were being sold 16.32 percent below cost.
The current level of anti-dumping duties for Vietnam, China and Thailand will remain in force until Sep 25, when India will complete its investigation process and decide to cancel, lower or raise the tariffs.
Thanh said Vietnamese textile companies are small- and medium-sized, and lack the needed capital to dump goods below cost in order to gain market share.
“Vietnamese companies cannot dump their products,” he said.
Thanh said several countries were making use of “trade remedies” allowed under WTO regulations when imports are found to be sold below cost or to cause sudden harm to domestic industries.
Vietnamese textiles have a market share of just over 3 percent in India.
- China to adjust anti-dumping duties on Indian antibiotics - Aug 16, 2012
- Vietnam sues US over anti-dumping tax - Apr 23, 2010
- US files complaint over China car duties - Jul 06, 2012
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- India asks Kenya to cut duties on textile imports - Mar 20, 2012
- Anti-dumping duty imposed on carbon black - Feb 04, 2010
- $8.25 billion exports by 2014 achievable: leather exporters - Jan 30, 2011
- 'India's anti-dumping move violates WTO law' - Sep 16, 2010
- India to help Vietnam enhance, upgrade its armed forces - Oct 13, 2010
- Vietnam, Britain hold strategic dialogue - Jul 06, 2012
- Team Anna alleges kickbacks in India's major deals - Apr 26, 2012
- India, Vietnam plan joint army training - Oct 13, 2010
- Indian commerce minister meets Vietnamese PM - Mar 08, 2012
- Anti-dumping duty on Chinese Vitamin C extended - Jun 19, 2009
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: bien vietnam, competitiveness, criticised, deputy director, deputy minister, dpa, duc thanh, dumping duties, fabrics, hanoi, indian authorities, investigation process, market share, nguyen duc, tariff, tariffs, textile companies, vietnam china, vietnamese authorities, vietnamese companies