Video accounts for half of mobile data trafficFebruary 24th, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Feb 24 (IANS) Half of all data traffic on mobile networks now is video recording, an indication of users’ growing demand for mobile content, said a report released Thursday.
The average volume of video traffic on mobile networks has increased by 10 percentage points compared with the same time last year, according to the latest mobile analytics report by Bytemobile, a mobile internet solution provider based in Santa Clara in California, US.
In certain mobile networks, video hits up to 69 percent of total data traffic, the report showed.
It also found that mobile social networking is taking off, with smartphone users spending an average of 4.57 minutes per session on Twitter, 8.51 minutes per session on YouTube and 9.06 minutes per session on Facebook.
Though subscribers use YouTube and Facebook for roughly the same amount of time, video-sharing service YouTube generates 350 times more traffic, according to the report.
As for mobile advertising, Google’s Android devices are generating more ad transactions and corresponding data volume than Apple’s iOS devices, and Google dominates the mobile ad arena, accounting for about 75 percent of the total ad-generated data.
In another finding, the report revealed that tablet computers are now driving more mobile traffic than smartphones, as an iPad user on an average generates three times the data traffic that an iPhone subscriber does.
The new report offers further evidence that demand for mobile content is continuing to grow, noted Chris Koopmans, chief operating officer of Bytemobile.
“As devices continue to get smarter — with faster processors, more memory and bigger, sharper screens — content consumption, particularly video, continues to grow aggressively,” he said in a statement.
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Smartphone users hit 20 mn mark in South Korea - Oct 31, 2011
- Now, uninterrupted videos even on basic mobiles - Sep 11, 2011
- Google axes five products - Jul 04, 2012
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Facebook Passes Google as Most-Viewed Site in US - Sep 12, 2010
- Reliance Communications to market Android devices in India - Apr 16, 2012
- More than 40pc of Aussies spend 41.5mn hrs surfing the web - Nov 12, 2010
- Facebook: India is second fastest growing market - Feb 05, 2012
- Google develops plug-and-play subscription service - Mar 22, 2011
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- 3.2 percent of Indian GDP due to Internet: Google - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: android, bytemobile, content consumption, data traffic, data volume, facebook, google, internet solution provider, ios, iphone, koopmans, mobile advertising, mobile content, mobile data, mobile internet, mobile networks, social networking, tablet computers, video traffic, youtube