Victoria police rule out arson in bushfire-hit townFebruary 11th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb.11 (ANI): Victoria police has ruled out arson as the cause of the fire in the town of Kinglake.
More than 100 people have died in the fires that burnt through Kilmore, Humevale, Taggerty and Wandong and surrounds on Saturday.
Police have also ruled out arson in three other blazes - Bendigo-Maiden Gully, Redesdale and Mudgeegonga.
The cause of the Marysville, Narbethong and Murrindindi Mill fire is still being investigated, but police say the 40, 000 hectare Churchill fire in the Gippsland, where 21 people died, is suspicious.
Despite earlier saying a photo-fit of a suspect in the Churchill fire may be released soon, Assistant Commissioner Dannye Moloney said on Wednesday no image would be released at this stage and no arrest was imminent.
Police are also investigating reports of two arsonists lighting fires near the township of Stanley in Victoria’’s north, not far from the Beechworth firefront.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon on Wednesday confirmed that police were investigating reports of two small deliberately-lit fires which were quickly extinguished.
The bushfires have killed at least 181 people across Victoria. (ANI)
- Victoria police launch manhunt for ''serial arsonist'' - Feb 12, 2009
- Victoria bushfire death toll rises to 181, 80 missing - Feb 11, 2009
- Arson arrests after Australia's deadly forest fires (Lead) - Feb 12, 2009
- Death toll in Australia's bushfires rises to 65 (Lead) - Feb 08, 2009
- Oz bushfire death toll rises to 107, 750 homes destroyed - Feb 09, 2009
- Victoria Premier announces Royal Commission to probe bushfires - Feb 09, 2009
- Australia's forest fire toll rises to 166 - Feb 10, 2009
- Victoria bush fire accused failed in finding love - Feb 16, 2009
- Australian court charges forest-fire arson suspect (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Victoria bush fires: Man arrested for Gippsland fire - Feb 13, 2009
- Australia wonders how to cope with future bushfires - Feb 17, 2009
- Fires spark friction as police hunt arsonists - Feb 11, 2009
- Oz bushfire death toll rises to 173, towns ruined - Feb 10, 2009
- Australia's worst forest fires spark arsonist hunt (Lead) - Feb 10, 2009
- Mahindra's malaria fund-raising plane reaches Bangalore - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: arson, arsonists, assistant commissioner, beechworth, blazes, bushfires, chief commissioner, christine nixon, churchill, gippsland, gully, lighting fires, lit fires, melbourne, police chief, police rule, township of stanley, victoria police