Victoria Police leaves 60-year-old Indian man alone to fight 25 racist thugsMarch 2nd, 2010 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar. 2 (ANI): A 60-year-old Indian-origin man living in Australia was left alone to fight a gang of 25 drunken racists for a terrifying 2 1/2 hours to prevent them from intruding his Melbourne home when Victoria Police refused to help him out of situation.
The Herald Sun quoted Ranjit Sahasranaman as saying that he was assaulted in his own backyard and racially abused after the gang of mostly white men tore down his back fence and gained entry on Sunday.
“They were throwing punches at me. They told me to get lost from this country,” Sahasranaman said.
He said he called police up four times before they finally responded.
“I told them my life was in danger, but they kept asking silly questions. Finally I told them we are going to die. What was I supposed to do? If the police say they can’t do it, then I have to do it myself,” he said.
The father of two, a karate champion who has lived in Australia for the past 19 years, was forced to fight back with a bar when the intruders got within centimetres of his back door.
Police arrived after his ordeal was over, and drove home one of the injured gang member who alleged he was a victim of Sahasranaman’s assault.
“All they are good for is barbecue, dinner and dance. They left a letter in my mailbox asking me to contact Crime Stoppers,” Sahasranaman said, adding that police didn’t make any arrests.
However, police spokeswoman Sgt Creina O’Grady denied police were slow to react.
“Within 15 minutes of Mr Ranjit’s call, two police units were on the scene breaking up the disturbance,” she said.
But she confirmed police then gave one of the gang a lift home.
“Police spoke to several people and drove one youth home who had received injuries in an alleged assault. After dealing with this job and the people concerned, attending police then went and spoke to the complainant. Investigations are still under way in relation to the matter,” she said. (ANI)
- Australian FM to discuss attacks on Indians with Krishna on Wednesday - Mar 02, 2010
- India, Australia to talk students' safety, Games security (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- India, Australia to discuss racist attacks, Games security (Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- Rachel Uchitel writes final farewell letter to fiance killed during 9/11 tragedy - Jan 21, 2011
- Lady Gaga reveals bald head on chat show - Jun 19, 2011
- Karate champion convicted of abusing teenager - Dec 27, 2011
- Legendary golfer Seve Ballesteros loses battle with brain tumour - May 07, 2011
- Woods' 'mistress' visits Ground Zero as part of recovery on 'Celebrity Rehab' - Sep 01, 2010
- Oz motorcyclist fined for riding with barbecue strapped to back on freeway - Aug 26, 2010
- Student vet mauled to death by pygmy elephant - Dec 08, 2011
- Mel Gibson's copy of 'The Beaver' stolen from his mailbox - Jan 31, 2011
- ISI spy Ghulam Nabi Fai gets 2 years jail (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Archaeologists unearth 'birth certificate of Scotland' - Sep 10, 2010
- Piers Morgan to quit 'Britain's Got Talent' - Oct 12, 2010
- 'The Beaver' DVD stolen from Gibson's mailbox - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: alleged assault, back fence, barbecue dinner, complainant, crime stoppers, dinner and dance, gang member, herald sun, indian man, indian origin, intruders, karate champion, living in australia, own backyard, police spokeswoman, police units, racists, silly questions, victoria police, white men