Victoria Cross winner Gorkha hero Pun who saved Lumley’s father dies at 92April 22nd, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 22 (ANI): Britain paid tribute to Tul Bahadur Pun, a Gurkha hero who won the Victoria Cross for saving dozens of lives including actress Joanna Lumley’s father’s, after he died at 92 in Nepal.
Pun had won the highest military award for bravery for single-handedly charging a Japanese machine gun position in Burma in June 1944 under heavy enemy fire, where he saved Major James Lumley’s life along with others.
General Sir David Richards, the Chief of Defence Staff, led the tributes.
“The facts have not been, or needed to be, embellished - they stand bold as a report of selfless, steadfast and undiluted ferocious courage - no quarter expected and no quarter given,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
“His warrior spirit lives on in those young Gurkha soldiers who serve in our proud Gurkha Regiments of today’s Brigade of Gurkhas, in the service of the Crown,” General Richards added.
Meanwhile, Lumley’s lawyer said the actress is abroad and unaware of the death of her father’s saviour.
The actress would be ‘devastated’ by the death of a man she ‘deeply respected’, Martin Howe, added.
Pun died in his home village of Myagdi in Nepal on Wednesday. Officially his age was put at 88, but reports suggest that his real age was 92. (ANI)
- Gurkha activists' fury over British minister's attack on cause campaigner Joanna Lumley - Mar 10, 2010
- Gurkha soldier reduced to begging seek help from British actress - Jul 25, 2009
- Gurkha rights campaigner Lumley is The Times's Briton of the Year - Dec 28, 2009
- Gurkha row: Brown, UK Defence Minister apologise to Lumley - Mar 30, 2010
- Lumley says Gurkhas must be allowed into Britain sans visa fees - Feb 07, 2010
- Brit actress Lumley hailed as 'Nepali cheli' - Jul 28, 2009
- Intrepid Gurkha gets top bravery medal from Queen - Jun 02, 2011
- Our treatment of Gurkhas is a scandal, says Lumley - Sep 17, 2008
- Gurkha gets Britain's second highest bravery medal for fighting Taliban in Afghanistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Gurkhas take pension battle to European rights court - Jun 20, 2011
- Britain opens Nepal office to help Gurkha migration - Oct 05, 2009
- Hindus urge Nepal to award highest civilian honor to UK actress Joanna Lumley - May 23, 2009
- Gurkhas axed as Britain reduces troops - Apr 04, 2011
- Joanna Lumley helps create chutney in support of gurkhas - Aug 05, 2010
- Gurkhas get axe as Britain reduces troops (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: actress joanna lumley, brigade of gurkhas, cross winner, daily mail, david richards, death of a man, defence staff, enemy fire, gun position, gurkha regiments, gurkha soldiers, james lumley, joanna lumley, june 1944, military award, myagdi, pun, sir david, victoria cross, warrior spirit